Problems using Nikon Coolpix 5900 camera with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colester, Jul 29, 2006.

1. colester macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2006
    Was wondering if anyone could help me out on this. Ive got a Nikon Coolpix 5900 camera which is not recognized by iPhoto. I have been using Nikon's own software Picture Project to import my pictures but it keeps losing pictures and returning messages like file not found. Therefore I am determined to get iPhoto to recognize my camera. I have checked on Apple's website and it is not among their list of compatible cameras for some reason, despite other Coolpix cameras being in the list. Is there anything I can download such as a driver perhaps that will enable iPhoto to see my camera. At present it just says that there is no camera connected. I have another camera which is recognized by iPhoto no problem, so I know it is not a software issue.

Would be most greatful if somebody could throw some light on this for me.
  2. Peace macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    You need to change the mode of the camera's USB settings in the menu from PTP to Mass Storage.
  4. lorlee82 macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2009
    USB Hub

Some of the Nikon coolpix manuals say for Mac OSX 'camera may not be recognized if connected to USB hub'. Might fix your problem. So far even directly connecting it to the computers USB still won't recognize my coolpix.