Problems with 12" 867 PB in-built microphone

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jimmni, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Jimmni macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a 12" 867 PowerBook and I'm trying to use the internal microphone. I've not been able to get any response from it at all, and Apple want to charge me for support trying to fix it - though they'll refund it if it turns out to be a hardware issue. Needless to say, I need to rule out software problems before paying money I might not get back.

I have 10.3.5 running and have the "Internal Microphone" selected in the Sound system preference. I can get input through the line-in jack, but nothing in when the internal micophone is selected. I've tried recording through Audio Recorder, I've tried setting Speakable Items on, but neither register any input. If I tap the microphone it doesn't register anything either.

This is the case even when no applications are running, so I don't think it's a conflict with iChat AV or anything like that.

Are there some troubleshooting steps Apple are likely to run through with me that I can try? Or does it sound like hardware problems? It'll be the 6th thing I've had to have fixed on this PowerBook if it is. Not very impressed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jimmni

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you can't get any response from the mic in the Sound prefpane (in system preferences) you probably have a problem.
    I think its expensive to change the mic, since it's located at the top of the screen.

Anyway, repair permissions, it could hopefully be a audio input driver with wrong permissions.

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

no the mic is not located at the top of the screen. its located to the right of the power input

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

All I can suggest is that you have the input select slider in the sound preference pane turned up to max. If you have GarageBand, you could test it out on that too. You could also try rebooting if you have not done so for a long time, in case some core piece of software has messed up. If you still can't get it to register, then it must be defective. Presumably you have AppleCare if they can repair it under warranty (it must now be over a year old).

mikeyredk is right. The internal mic on the 12" PB is the little hole located above the F1 key, to the right of the power input and next to the lower left corner of the screen.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

your probably thinking of the ibook..

6. Jimmni thread starter macrumors member

Well, I stumped up my card details and apple ended up deciding it was a hardware fault and they're taking my PowerBook in. So far it's only needed to have the screen, the battery, the combo drive and the microphone replaced. :mad: