Problems with 3G 15GB

Discussion in 'iPod' started by barneygumble, Feb 2, 2006.

1. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Well its official my ipod has finally crapped itself and i can't seem to fix it

After the most recent update (10-1-06) i was loading my songs on using a USB 1.1 port halfway through the battery ran out, ever since then i have not been able to get it to work. Upon turning the ipod on i get the folder with an exclamation point, however it wont charge for me to try and reset it, when plugged in it just gets unbelievably hot, so how does one restore an ipod that wont stay on and wont charge, i am doing this on a PC by the way with USB 2.0 ports. I think this is karma after putting my Mac Mini up for sale. The battery is also fairly new so its not that. I am completely at a loss. It is only when charging that i get the folder with exclamation point.

Here is my theory, the application folder is corrupt, and so is the charging portion of it, hence i cant charge it, and can't restore it becasue of the no battery issue!

Any suggestions?

p.s and beleive me i have tried the fire R's

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, were you just using the USB ports?

I have a 3G 15GB iPod and you couldn't use USB to charge and sync. You had to get a USB 2.0/Firewire cable and plug the firewire cable into the power adapter and then you could sync with the USB cable. I think you might have buggered something up here.

Have you tried letting the battery run down so that it turns off, then plugging it into the Firewire power adapter?

3. barneygumble thread starter macrumors 6502a

No i was charging with the firwire with the original power adapter, and restoring with USB 1.1 i took the firewire card out of that PC, i also tried to do it at work with both USB and Firewire

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try plugging it in, then booting it up into the debug menu...have it run a hard drive scan to see what happens...if you can.