problems with 5.1 speakers for imac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DFA1979, Aug 16, 2005.

1. DFA1979 macrumors newbie

i just bought logitech x-530 5.1 speakers for my iMac computer. only the back 2 speakers seem to be working, does anyone know why the other 3 arent working? is there a setting on the mac that i have to change so the sound plays out of 5.1 speakers or do i have to buy some kind of card or splitter or something?

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I have no clue as i am not familiar with those speakers...
    Though i did find this with a quick google search. It may help.

Other than that, check your audio output in Audio MIDI Setup, and select 5.1 if possible.

From that article i could not figure out if the speakers had optical in or just analog. Optical will do 5.1, whereas one analog cable will not do 5.1, only 2.0 or 2.1 (depending on how your sub works).

Hope this helps.

3. jer446 macrumors 6502a

with my imac, i needed to get a splitter for my speakers because it would only play in two speakers. The splitter solved the problem

4. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

wouldn't the audio you are playing have to do with it to? iTunes can't encode in 5.1, only stereo, so i imagine it works like the 5.1s in my house when they get stereo, and only two speakers work instead of all 5.

5. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

doesn't that solution mean that you are getting the same sound through all sets, and also wouldn't you have one speaker still not working? I think the person's issue is that whatever they are listening to doesn't have the channels for the audio

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

7. jaysmith macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/software.html

on the right it says you can plug in 5.1 speakers into the optical audio out, is this not true or did i just miss something? i'm soon getting the rev. a imac 1.8 with superdrive and i have logitech 5.1's (x-530). will it work?