Problems with Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by margolisd, Dec 7, 2006.

1. margolisd macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2006
    Hey folks. Just wanted to share this with you and ask if anybody has had a similar experience. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm in London and I purchased a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display from the UK Apple Store. On the 4th of September I received it. Exactly two months later I turned the display on and hundreds of the pixels died and a dark bar appeared at the top of the screen. So, I took the display to an Apple Authorized Service Centre (Computer Warehouse in Brentford) and they said I was eligible for a replacement.

After waiting over a month, yesterday my replacement finally arrived. I went back to the Computer Warehouse to pick it up. To my disappointment they gave me what looked like a used display. It was scuffed, marked and dented, not badly but it wasn't in the same condition as the one I gave them. It was also a bit dirty. They told me it was "refurbished." This worried me because for something to be refurbished it would have to be defurbished in the first place! Plus, if this was a used item, I had no idea how old it was (it could have been years old) what kind of use it had had or how long I could expect it to last compared to the new screen I had purchased.

So, I refused to accept the screen and left the shop. I called Apple and found out to my horror that this is standard practice for the Apple Store. So, after spending £1500 on a screen that goes wrong within two months the best they can do is send you somebody else's dirty old screen which they've gone over with a cloth and have the nerve to call "refurbished".

I'm trying to negotiate with Apple at the moment but they don't seem all that willing to give me a new screen. What do you think I should do?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You do not have to accept this (in the UK at least). You are protected by the Sale Of Goods Act. All items sold must be of "reasonable quality" and "fit for sale". Note that whilst Apple will try and tell you that you have a 1 year warranty the law protects you for 6 years.

In the case that the product fails the supplier must either fix or replace the item (or refund your money). I do not think that a replacement that is in a poorer state than the original is acceptable.

Contact Apple and tell then that unless they resolve this to your satisfaction you will be taking the case to Trading Standards.

Whilst Apple are generally a good company they do seem to have some sharp practices. If everyone stood up for their rights companies would not try this sort of stuff.