Problems with Baldur's Gate II in Panther

Discussion in 'Games' started by preyingmantis, Dec 25, 2003.

1. preyingmantis macrumors newbie

I just got Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn today, but every time I try to run it, it crashes and gives me an "unexpected error" message. My computer meets all the minimum requirements for the game, and I've got the latest patch (1.1.1), and I've got 10.3.2 installed on my machine.

I've heard of other people who've had these problems, but I don't know if there's any solution. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Do you get a system "Unexpected Quit" message or do you get a BGII error message?

Also, check the BGConfig program to make sure 3D hardware acceleration is turned off.

3. preyingmantis thread starter macrumors newbie

It's one of those "Application Baldur's Gate II has unexpectedly quit" errors, and gives me the option of sending in a report to Apple.

I checked out the BGConfig, and 3D acceleration was off by default.

4. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Didn't have that in panther but get that all the time in UT2003.
    In report says: BAD ACCESS ERROR (number).

I have no idea....

5. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

did you do a full install or just the regular install?? try doing the full install (and trash prefs if there are any yet). I have the game and it runs fine on my comp *shrugs* also try some different settings on the config apps

6. Wren macrumors regular

These are some of the reasons why I am hesitating to get Panther. I have a friend who has one and has given it "mediocre" review. He thinks it's still buggy. I was at the Apple Store last night and I'm glad I did not spend $129.00 plus sales tax for it. I'm very happy with the Jaguar. Not getting off on the topic, if you're playing Baldur's Gate 2, the much awaited Throne of Bhaal is now available! This is great news us us Mac gamers since just a year ago, it seemed like an improbablity.

7. hakalugi macrumors newbie

mee too

no 3d accel and all the settings in OS X config are at their lowest... and upon launch (OS 9 or OS X version):

"An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 645
    Programmer says: Unable to Opoen BIF: data:MISSound.bif"

argh.

8. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

hakalugi:

You're having the same problem I was having.

It turns out the installer doesn't put some files in the right folders. I can't remember what I did but if you root around and use a little bit of logic, you should find that you can manually copy files into their appropriate folders from the actual game folder on the CD.

For example:
    "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 645
    Programmer says: Unable to Opoen BIF: data:MISSound.bif"

Means that in the "data" folder in your "BGII - SoA" folder, there is no copy of the "MISSSound.bif" file, which the game needs. Find it on the game CD and copy it. You'll do that about a dozen times with different files and then it'll work properly.

Unacceptable behavior, but at least it'll get your game working again.

9. hakalugi macrumors newbie

thanks...

thanks daveman...

it launches, and allows me to setup a character, but after i hit 'accept' it asks me for CD#2, repeatedly - which is in the drive.

i tried swapping in the other 3 disks, and none of those worked, either.

I retried 3x from scratch (making characters twice, and taking a default one the third time)

did you have this problem?

10. hakalugi macrumors newbie

nevermind

i just dumped the whole contents of each cd in their respective folders in the BG folder on the HD.

weird. i tried a full install 3 hours ago, many times, but it hung each time.

i'll give it a try

11. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

Ya the installer is messed up (I went through the same thing) so its not really due to panther. I forget what I did but I think it was something along the lines of putting each disk in individually and installing each one.... If I get a chance I will try it when I get home from work....

12. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Saving issues

I realize this thread is a bit old...but I just started playing this game on my new G5 running Panther. It was running ok to begin with, and when I say ok it means it is running less than well, but now it locks up every time the game tries to do an autosave or I try to save my game. It sits at the save screen until I press enter at which point it dumps me back to the desktop. I can then reload the game and load my save file. It does save it. The problem... I can't go anywhere in the game because of autosaving.

Has anyone else had this trouble? I'm not happy with the performance of BG2 at all. The problem is I don't know if the bugs are Panther, or BG2.

13. ejoyjohn macrumors newbie

Panther problems

I'm having the exact same issue with my G5 and Panther. The game freezes in the save screen and I am unable to travel between places. It's unplayable like this. I've emailed Macplay but I'm not holding my breath.

14. Breadbox macrumors newbie

HI, Have either of you figured out this problem or has Macplay been able to help you. This is the ONLY thread I can find anywhere on the Net about BG2 and the G5. I guess I'm old school and no one plays it anymore. I have just upgraded to a G5 and have the same SAVE GAME issue. Crashes about 99% of the time with Quicksave, Autosave and normal save. I have not been able to figure this out I have changed the config and re-installed so many times it is ridiculous. (Macplay only said to re-install no other suggestions). I did find out that if you go to Window Mode there is an error message that is hidden in full screen mode (File Exception err1) that is pretty much no help though. Please let me know if either of you had success figuring this out. I have a G5 2.0 1GBRam and OS 10.3.5. I have tried to run BG2ToB on the internal drive and external no success.
    THANKS!

15. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

Baldur's Gate II & G5

Hello Breadbox,

Unfortunately I have not solved the issue. I just shelved it while waiting for Macplay to release a patch. I wish I had a better answer for you but I had no further success in getting it to function without crashing. It was really aggravating for me because it started doing it to me right at the point of leaving one area for another which causes the game to do an autosave which does itself in. If I could disable autosave, I'd just keep playing until I knew I wanted to quit, save it and let it crash. Hopefully Macplay won't let this one slide and will get it taken care of soon.

16. Breadbox macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Please keep on Macplay, I know I am. I finally thought I had a computer that could play the game with 100% graphics and all and here I am dead in the water still playing on my old Wallstreet in OS 9. (Sigh).
    It's funny it seems like everyone in the world has played this game through and shelved it...I still haven't completed it being I get to play 1 or 2 hours a week.
    I have a tread going with Macplay but they haven't given any good solutions yet. The re-install didn't help as well as on my computer QuickSave, AutoSave and regular save all do the same thing (File Exception err1 and crashes).
    Let me know if you get anywhere and I will post any new findings from Macplay from my current thread with them.

THANKS.

17. Breadbox macrumors newbie

Hi ALL some---maybe good news---:rolleyes:

MacPlay has been very helpful this week and we have been trying different fixes on my G5 for BG2 and TOB. Well, it apears to be a Dual Processor problem and they recommend turning off ONE Processor to play the game. I have done this and my initial test worked VERY WeLL! I was able to Autosave, Quicksave. I will test more over the weekend and report back. If those with G5's having issues want to try. Visit Mac Developer Section and look up Changing Processors in OSX.

The command looks something like this and needs to be done in terminal as root:

%nvram boot-args="cups=X"

Where X is the number of Processors.

This change is permanent after reboot until you tell it to go back to 2 processors. (You may verify with "About this Mac")

I highly recommend reading all the Apple Docs on this before doing it as well as Typo's will mess up the nvram and prevent the computer from booting! (I take no responsibility for messed up computers)
    The fix for messing up is zapping the PRAM or booting from CD and repairing one's nvram mistake. These commands may also be done from Open Firmware if you are Firmware Savvy.

Links:

http://developer.apple.com/
    http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1141.html

Good Luck, pleaes post results if you try this so I can report back to MacPlay. :D :

18. acimino macrumors newbie

two processors seems to be the point

All,

I tryed the solution given above for the dual processors G5... and it works (when correctly spelled...)
    You have to do it from the terminal -root account is not mandatory- : when on your terminal type : sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=1"
    then restart the computer.. you can now play flawlessly (or more precisely I could play a lot) :D ... then when you want to return to normal dual proc comportment, just, from the terminal type in : sudo nvram boot-args="cpus=2", restart and you're done...

but anyhow, that's a bug and I hope it will be corrected soon... I hate changing the way the computer works as a turnaround for a software issue...

but at least, I can play !!!

19. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Does this help?

Hi,

In case anyone is surfing the web for help on how to solve their copy of Baldur's Gate 2 (aka BG2) crashing when saving, or when it tells you it can't save at all, try this link:

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=328127&forum=10

Basically, it seems that installing the game onto Panther/Tiger may cause one file to corrupt, specifically the one named 'temp' in your BG2 folder. Delete that file/folder, then empty the trash, then create a new folder called 'temp' in the BG2 folder, and try to save now. It worked for me!

Good luck,
    Owen