Problems with CD Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by craigalms, Dec 9, 2006.

1. craigalms macrumors newbie

Hey everyone I really need some help,

My G5 Powermacs CD drive is not recognizing any cds that I put in. I've tried both data and music cds and neither have worked. Anyone know what the problem might be, and if so, what do I do? Thanks.

-Craig

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... What changes did you make to the machine right before this started happening? Are the discs spinning up? Have you checked Disk Utility to see if they're visible there? Have you tried resetting the SMU? :)

3. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

compressed air could help if it is dirty inside.

4. craigalms thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the cd's been spinning everytime, which I'm hoping is a good sign. Its not showing up in the finder anytime I put it in if thats what you mean by the dik utlity. I'm still a n00b at macs, I'm learning.

-Craig

p.s what do you mean by compressed air?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. Disk Utility is an app in the Utilities folder on your Mac. Open it up and see if your CD shows up there. Compressed air is kinda like air in a can. It can be good for dislodging grime and dust. :)

6. craigalms thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the disk doesn't even show up when i put it in there. Its pretty lame, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm hesistant to call someone to fix cause I'm sure its fairly easy.

-Craig

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Firstly, you'd do well to check that the drive is recognised by Apple System Profiler. If not, check the cables, and if it still doesn't show up, order a new drive - Remember that they have plummeted in price, so I wouldn't worry too much - You can get a much faster one than the one you have for the price of a few cans of compressed air! I'd use this as a good opportunity to upgrade.

David.