Problems with Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by hvfsl, Feb 10, 2003.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

There are a lot of people on this site with problems about Christians. Well I would just like to say what I heard on the news after 911 about something that happened in the twin towers.

A priest stayed with some people in one of the towers while it collapsed around him, praying for and comforting the people who could not get out. Now he gave his life with the hope of saving those people so they could spend ethernity in paradise. My point is not whether what he did worked or not, but are there any non christians out there that would have done the same kind of thing; give there life so others might be saved. This is very different from people like the terrorists who gave their lives for their own personal gain; getting to their version of heaven, and to kill people. This is also very different from the fire fighters, who were/are heros, but they did not enter the towers and die, knowing that they would never get out allive. Where as the priest knew that if he stayed if would not get out allive. The priest could have quite easily got out since he wasn't too fare from the exit.

My point is if christians are so bad and wrong, why would one want to do something that others would probably never dream of doing. Giving their lives, knowing they were going to die, in the hope of saving others.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a strong faith in religion...

what I look down up on is the ignorance that can often accompany that faith...

ignorance to acknowledge certain things in society...the whole "out of site/out of mind" attitude...

and I also disagree with leaning your faith on others...it should be a choice...not an obligation... ;)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

most people agree with eyelikeart. even i do. and i'm christian

the story about the priest is great. however, i guarantee many non christians would do the same. and plenty of christians would not.

therefore, the priest should be heralded as a great, compassionate person. rather than seen simply as a christian. because, that title has been watered down so much. christians who don't truly live like christ (no one lives exactly like him of course) are not really christians to me. but just put a label on themselves... non christians who love others and show compassion in day to day lives, are far more christlike than many "christians'....

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if he stayed and died, and counselled other people who couldn't get out, how do we know about it now?

i really don't mean any offense but i've heard a thousand stories like this from 9/11 and i don't believe any of them.

there are christians who are actually committed to the cause and not caught up in the politics of it; people that really do spread love.

unfortunately, they're few and far between.

pnw

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, lets recapitulate back in history....

We are talking 2 different things here:

1. About christianity: That is just a religion, there are more religions with good and bad things.

2. Human live: The priest gave his live but as a human being, most people would give their life for others for sure, no religion is necesary for that, we are talking about survival or instinct.

Now, religions are a way to make live understandable. A religion is the easyest way for you to transfer your culture and values to some other civilization. Religions have basic rules to fallow and the spiritual part of them is just a part.

Now, in our actual civilizations we have to deal with the spiritual part of our religions because we have covered most of the rest of the information.

So, what is going on with christianims? I may say in my experience that:
    1. Priest are not doing a good job most of the time.
    2. Todays churches are not moving togather with the civilisation.
    3. Too many religions and each one preaching something a bit different than the one beside.
    4. Comunism is duing its job making people staying away from legit education.

Well, lets not bother discussing thos topics but what is true is that poeple are looking for a more practical way of christianism and what find is preach talking about internet and all that stuff.

For exaple: No one know that the objective of praying at night is not to be in contact with the Lord, no, it is to meditate about what you did in your day, be concius about that to keep going the next day from there. That is the prectical way for praying but the church wont tell you like that, there is a lot of psicollogy involve in the christian rituals.

The jewis explain that better in their own religion, everything has a practical meaning in real life.

That is why I think not to many people see the sense in religion these days.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

BTW

For me still more important the fact of the people that took over their plane and didn't crash against the planify objective than the rest of the events.

That people of that plain gave and example to the world. They didn't wait for some one else to save them, they fighted for them self and at lits the terroris objective wasn't meet. The people in th other 3 planes didn't do anything to avoid the terrorist attack.

Now, something to think about:

In what plane are we in life?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I agree with eye - there are too many cases, and its not just Christian, but all faiths actually, where people justify any actions, and I'm talking about torture, murder, racism, etc., based on what is in the Bible, Qoran, etal. Its all based on a power play, identity struggle, us vs. them mentality that is part of human nature.

What the human race needs to realize is that everyone is different and that's ok. As long as your beliefs don't harm me or my loved ones, there really shouldn't be problems.

However, its easy to describe the problem and explain a solution, but another thing for it actually go into effect. The human race needs to grow up, basically, and its going to be a painful process until we actually do.

I base people on how they live their lives and conduct themselves, not on who they are or what they believe in. Its basic ignorance on the individuals part to look at the issues from a single point of view. Open your eyes and your mind and realize we are all on this little blue marble together.

D

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

mymemory,

i have seen people/media find scandal with some priests, but overall haven't they done more good than bad...isn't that the line of work they are in?

9. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Sub forum for religion, all who favor say "please"....

please

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

11. TMay macrumors 68000

people in fourth plane knew of attack

"For me still more important the fact of the people that took over their plane and didn't crash against the planify objective than the rest of the events.

That people of that plain gave and example to the world. They didn't wait for some one else to save them, they fighted for them self and at lits the terroris objective wasn't meet. The people in th other 3 planes didn't do anything to avoid the terrorist attack.

Now, something to think about:

In what plane are we in life?"

mymemory,

The passengers and crew in the fourth plane knew what was going to happen to them as they had heard news of the other plane crashes via phone conversations. They made a decision that could only be made as a last resort and that was to do what was necessary to prevent that aircraft being used as a weapon. Under other circumstances, such as a historical hijack, it would have endanged every passenger and crewman's life to attempt to eliminate the hijackers.

Such are the times, that it would now be expected that passengers on board would have no reservations in attempting to subdue any hijackers, as has been proven in the few subsequent events, like the shoe bomber incident.

Note also, that conditions in some countries are so bad, that for many, an act of suicidal terrorism is the only redress.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have no problems w/Christianity, but sometimes I have problems w/Christians ( or any zealot for that matter).

To make a long story short, I have faith in God, not in man.

Lethal

13. altair macrumors regular

Oh my god!

I am being completely serrious when I say that, what you just said, I have been trying to put into words for years, but you just did it so eloquently it is amazing. I completely agree with you, and am strengthened to know their are christians who are like you. Personally I am not christian, but comend you for your faith. Thank youf or posting this, and for all of you out their, what he said is incredible.

~altair

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Oh my god!

hahaha. thanks for the props. it's just funny to think that anything i say is really profound. depending who you ask here, you'd probably hear anything BUT that about me..

thanks though.

just is what has come to me over my life. growing as a person, both on a social level, and a spiritual level. i've learned that people have different faiths and that while i believe my faith to be the "true" one... it doesn't mean i don't think other people will have the same shot at eternity (heaven) as i do. in fact. as i said, there are some amazing non christians out there. so much so that it makes me want to be a better christian, because i see how christ like they are... if that makes any sense.

ahh. late. word

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes our faith is with God. We are here to serve him, not to be served. Have to be very careful about false prophets.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its all well and good to say that, but the people who are following 'false' prophets don't exactly think that they are false.

No, it gets back to the zealotry of religions. Anything taken to extremes isn't good, and basing your beliefs first and other people second is not the way to go. Moderation in all forms works best, because there is always someone who believes/thinks differently than you.

I'm totally for letting other people believe what they want, again, as long as it doesn't harm me or my familly.

D