Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

I have some files which I have downloaded that are wmv encoded that play on the 360 using Connect 360.

I have tried to convert an avi file to wmv using VisualHub, and seemingly did so successfully, however Connect360 cannot see the file and therefore cannot stream it to the console.

What could be the problem?
Any other software to convert files to wmv I could try?

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
VisualHub does not output 360 compatible files. To play on a 360, the video must be WMV and audio in WMA. However, VisualHub (and many other programs) only output WMV video, and mp3/etc. audio. Thus, the files will not play on the 360.

This is my ONE HUGE complaint about my new 360. The retarded WMV restriction that MS has artificially placed on the 360 is a real PITA. I cannot remember the last time I downloaded a WMV file whether it was via Winbloze or Mac. It's just not a widely used format. Yet, they found it in their infinite wisdom to restrict playback to their proprietary format in an attempt to increase its popularity (the 360 has MORE than enough hardware to play DivX, Xvid, and every other video format if the only allowed it!)

On Winbloze, I used VLC to convert DivX to WMV, however that had problems in that the resulting files seemed to have some memory leak in WMP11 and would chow RAM like it was going out of style. On my new Mac, I'm just SOL so far.

BOO Microsoft for being braindead about supporting more video formats!!! :rolleyes:

Mike

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Ok well I figured out that Flip4Mac WMV Studio is the app that's needed to convert to WMV.

I have the standard player which gives me the same features as Studio however it only lets me encode up to 30 seconds. I notice that no matter which settings I choose I always get lower quality than the original file. Does anyone have any experience with Flip4Mac Studio?

capucci

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2007
Can you use visualhub for DVD to .wmv? I have a ton of DVDs that I would like to put into a format to play on my 360. I would not use illicitly. :)

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
Can you use visualhub for DVD to .wmv? I have a ton of DVDs that I would like to put into a format to play on my 360. I would not use illicitly. :)

Nope - note my mention of VisualHub in the above comment.

The author has mentioned that he'd be interested in hiring someone to write a 360-compatible WMV transcoder, but there is nothing firm yet.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.