Problems with current AC Adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applekid, Nov 26, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I'm reading lots of reports about faulty AC adapters for the PowerBook and iBook machines. Either cables breaking, sparking, or overheating.

I'm looking into getting a spare AC adapter, but I just might get an old yo-yo adapter if the current ones are that problematic! :eek: I thought the little LED ring that showed the charging status was cool, but it appears I don't need it that badly...
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Yeah. It's overrated. It's annoying when I'm watching a DVD movie in bed at night and the light just ruins the movie watching experience. Sames goes for the Cinema Display power light. Now way to turn it off, so I place my remote over the light.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I think much of the problem is that Apple insists upon using the thinnest-gauge cable possible, leading to less durability. The yo-yo adapter was even more problematic, because the cable was under severe stress from being constantly wrapped & unwrapped. You should be fine if you get a standard white brick power adapter and 1) always unplug it from the computer by pulling on the connector, not the wire, and 2) never use the fold-out wings in the brick - the wrapping & unwrapping takes its toll on the cable over time. (As I know from experience, having ruined one this way.)