Problems with DVD player in 10.2.6

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sloow, May 29, 2003.

1. sloow macrumors newbie

May 29, 2003
    I am getting an error message in 10.2.6 that says it cannot find any DVD. The message is

A valid DVD drive could not be found (-70012)

I can play DVD's from either the combo drive or the DVD burner (Firewire) in OS9, so there is no real hardware issue.

I have zapped PRAM, booted in safe mode...
    to no avail..

Anyone have an idea?
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
  3. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I watch DVDs on my iBook's Combo Drive all the time, but once in a while the Mac claims that I don't have a Combo Drive. Sure enough, hitting the "eject" button does nothing and a quick look in the Apple System Profiler shows only the Hard Disk as a drive. Rebooting fixes the problem. I've never been able to nail down why this happens -- intermittent problems are so hard to figure out. I didn't specifically notice the problem after an OS point upgrade, so I don't think that 10.2.6 is the culprit.
  4. sloow thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2003
    I have tried repairing permissions as well.
    It's still pretty consistently not working....
  5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    jimthorn, you are correct. 10.2.6 is not the problem here.

Mr. Sloow, I would suggest resetting your open firmware, which is Apple -- Option -- O -- F (on boot), then type in

and also update your machine to the latest firmware.

I would also try trashing your DVD Player Preferences and relaunching.
  6. sloow thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2003
    Thanks for your suggestion mr. cobra,

It seems that Open Firmware reset doesn't solve the problem, neither does trashing the dvd player prefs.

Wouldn't the firmware have been upgraded with the system software update?

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    No. The firmware affects the hardware performance of the machine.

Register at TheTechPub and post your question there. You should get better advice.

Make sure you list, in your post there, that you have the latest firmware (assuming you have it installed), the latest version of OS X, the latest version of DVD Player, and that you have tried resetting the open firmware (assuming you have done that, as well), zapping the PRAM, and anything else you have tried.

Also, list your computer model and the amount of RAM and Hard Drive space you have left in that post.
  8. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I need to find DVD player version 3.2...its not listed on Apples says its a part of Jag but I dont want to have to reinstall Jag jsut for the player...
  9. meghop macrumors member

Sep 28, 2002
    How interesting. I am also having a similar problem with my apple installed CD-RW in my G4 667mhz. ASP says its not there, eject key does nothing, even gotten a few kernel panics since it stopped working. 10.2.6 running. Shutting down the computer completely and rebooting usually fixes the problem. I thought my CD-RW was just pooping out, since I have tried pram, resetting firmware, etc., everything listed here. Gonna put the drive in my friend's tower tomorrow and see if problems arise. Don't know what else to try.
  10. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Reinstalling Jaguar is really a non issue. Simply choose the archive installation then choose the option to copy over your preferences. The only issue might come in if you don't have a broadband internet connection for updating after the installation. Otherwise the reinstall will not affect your system or data in any way. It will simply archive your old system install a new clean system and copy all your prefs and options to the new system. It's completely seamless. Even if for some odd reason some pref isn't copies over you will have an archive of your old system still to get the pref from.