problems with encrypting wireless network

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by QCassidy352, Jan 3, 2004.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yesterday I got a Netgear MR814v2 WAP/ switch to work with several wired computers and my PB (wireless).

Well, it works fine as long as I leave the network unencrypted. However, when I turn encryption on and set a password, I can't access the network anymore. When I enter the password, it just says that an error has occurred. Basically, it refuses to accept my password.

Here's how the page is set up:
    Security Encryption (WEP)
    Authentication Type: ("automatic," "open system," or "shared key")
    Encryption Strength: ("Disable," "64bit," "128bit")
    Security Encryption (WEP) Key
    passphrase: _____ (button that says "generate" next to that box)
    Key 1: ____
    Key 2: ____
    Key 3: ____
    Key 4: ____

I have been entering "Automatic" and "128bit." Then, I enter my passphrase, and click "generate." Then, a string of random characters appear in the "key 1" box. Then I click "apply" at the bottom of the page.

But when I go to "turn on airport," select my network's name, and enter the passphrase I put in above, I get an error message.

Help, please.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't know the reason for your problem, but I have the same router and I entered the encryption key manually.

It's twenty-six hexadecimal digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F). Write it down and when you log into your network, make sure the pop-up menu next to the password field is set to "128-bit hex".

I've never tried entering an automatic key, but I think that the only difference if you use an automatic key is that you would set it to "128-bit ASCII".

Edit: To log on properly you may have to choose "Other" in the AirPort menu and type in the WLAN's name yourself.

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

daveman -
    thanks for the advice. i've got a couple of questions though. Do you have to enter the 26 character string when you log on? Or the passphrase? What is the point of having both a password and a 26 character string?

also, what do you have set as your authentication type: "automatic," "open system," or "shared key"?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer...

4. smeogul macrumors newbie

the password is to administer the Access Point.
    The passphrase is the WEP key for the hardware to access the network. You should be setting the shared key option and if you are using a 26 character hex key use 128 bit (64 bit is 13 characters).

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

QCassidy:

A passphrase is simply a thirteen-character string of ASCII characters. It can be a word or you can cover your eyes and hit the keyboard until thirteen characters are on the screen.

The encryption key in hexidecimal format is merely a conversion of those ASCII characters into their hexidecimal equivalents. They are functionally equivalent. Of course, when the actual key is transmitted, the hexidecimal key is converted into binary--but who wants to memorize a 104-bit binary encryption key? :D

If you automatically generate a key by typing a thirteen-character ASCII string, you can use either the ASCII or the hex as your encryption key when you get onto the network. If you make the hex key manually, you could look up the ASCII characters for each hex pair and type the encryption key in manually.

In short, hex = ASCII only it looks a little bit different.

My authentication type is set to "Automatic". If your computer is not set up to automatically connect via AirPort, you will have to retype the key whenever you want to use the network. Otherwise, it should remember the key and automatically sign on.

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thanks guys. But why did smeogul say to set to "open key" and Daveman to "automatic?"

Daveman - wouldn't the string be 26 characters instead of 13 if I were using 128bit encryption?

So let's say I activate 128bit encryption. I generate a string of characters. Now I set the authentication type (either open key or automatic).

Now I turn airport on for the wireless computer, and select my home network as the one I want. I'll get asked for a password. Is the 26 character string generated above what I want?

Sorry if these seem like really obvious questions, but this is the first time I've ever used 802.11 networking...

(1000th post!)

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

QCassidy:

If you're using ASCII, the 128-bit encryption key will be thirteen characters. A 128-bit encryption key in hex is twenty-six digits.

Each ASCII character is represented by a one-byte binary string with 256 possible values. It takes two hex digits to have 256 permutations (16 * 16 = 256).

Remember, when you type in the encryption key, you MUST set the popup box next to the password field to either "128-bit hex" or "128-bit ASCII", depending on which type of hex key you're entering.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

QCassidy,

If you still haven't gotten your WEP working, here's a little help.

With Netgear routers, the "Password" that you set in the Maintenence area is the routers admin password. It's not the WEP password.

OK, with the said, if you want to turn on WEP, either type in a passphrase or directly key in a 26 character password in Key 1 ONLY. NOTE - if you use 40/64 bit WEP, the key will only be 13 characters.

On your Mac, when you log into your Airport network, use the key (in the PASSWORD block), not passphrase. You also have to type a # or $ in front of the key. 128bit uses # and 40/64bit uses $. I may have that mixed up, so if it doesn't work at first, use $ instead of #.

Hope this helps.

9. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

success! thanks everyone. I generated a string, set the login to "automatic," and set the popup box on the wireless computer to "128-bit hex."

Well, it's all working now, and the wireless computer logs back in automatically. Thanks again. :)

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I never had to do that and I'm using the same model of router as QCassidy.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

hmmm, on my router (Netgear 614), I have to put the # in front of the pass-key. It didn't work until I put the # there. I found that from the Apple Airport instructions.

I guess there are some subtle differences between the 814 and 614.