Problems with FRONT ROW

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ebouwman, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i've been having some problems with front row, i've only had the problem twice but it does make me wonder why i've been having this problem.

The first time was about a month ago or so, i was watching a movie at school while on spare then had to go so i stopped the movie and shut the clamshell (front row is still open) then i put it in my laptop case and put it in my locker and left school for about 2 hours. When i came back i noticed that my laptop case was warm and so i opened it and my MacBook was very hot.
    It didn't respond to anything i did and i had to leave to go to a class right away, so not wanting anything to get worse(melt) i poped the battery out and left it cool.

the second time was just yesterday, i was using front row to listen to music before going to bed, i left it play one album. I woke up in the morning and i dont' really remember what i did, but i think i exited front row by pressing "\" and then left for work. After i got home i noticed that it was going really slow and the fan was constantly going, so i looked in the activity monitor and noticed FRONT ROW TOOK 95% OF THE CPU, and 700 mb of ram!!!!!
    i force quit it and every thing was fine

what could i have done wrong??

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't know about the second instance, but with regards to the first, it's best to make sure your computer is sleeping before you close the lid. some people have reported that when they close the lid, the computer is not going to sleep. this has happened to me once or twice with my MBP.

i don't know if it's necessarily a problem with Front Row. not to patronize, but have you tried restarting the machine? sometimes simple things like that can solve the problem.

3. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

to be honest i dont' restart that often(usually once a week, sometimes more or less)

I did fix the problem the second time by force quitting the Front Row proscess ( i still can't get over 700mb of RAM and 95% of my CPU when it wasn't even open!!!!!!!!)

And i usually wait until i hear it go to sleep before i put it away or move it or whatever (wait until i hear the all silent). I may not have done that in that instance though because i was in a rush, but i have never had a problem with it going to sleep as of yet(unless thats what happened)

what i was wondering was if anybody had any similar problem/if i should be worried about this in the future.

the second problem that i had was weird, it was almost like i was running windows right after a restart:rolleyes: :p

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Adequate ventilation is always necessary until the computer achieves room temperature. You should never put it in a case while it's still rather warm.

Putting it to sleep before you close it will still allow it to vent the hot air and then, you can close it and put it in the case without worry.