Problems with Half Life 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalns, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

May 16, 2006
    I just used bootcamp to install the windows XP partition on my macbook yesterday (2ghz 1 gig ram) and I've been wanting to try out Half Life 2 so I bought it off of Steam. The game works fine...until I go through that door right after you jump out the window. The game pauses to load and then it starts again for about 2 second and crashes. It happened 4 times on a variety of settings. Anyone know how I can fix this?
  2. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Sorry, this may not sound so useful, but it works fine for me on my intel imac. I had some issues with it to begin with, but I think I updated the graphics card driver, or maybe installed some Windows updates.

Try making sure Steam, Windows XP and you Graphics Card drivers are all up to date!

3. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

May 16, 2006
    I'm not very familiar with windows. How do I check for the graphics card update? I'm pretty sure that windows is updated because I set it to do that automatically.
  4. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Steam updates itself, and I remember someone warning not to install newer ATi drivers for fear of screwing up windows. I'd check the Steam forum, personally, because I've had no problems with the ATi drivers from Boot Camp and a relatively update-free install of XP SP2.
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Did you download recently?

I re-downloaded just a few days ago and since then it's been crashing very often. It has never done this before for me. Sounds like an update gone wrong.
  6. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    i don't know what the problem is specifically, but i can tell you that the place where the game hangs is a "save/load" point where the next part of the level is loaded into memory. On very fast PCs it is almost instantaneous, but for most people there is a 4-20 second "loading" pause between the scenes inside each level.

Something related to the next part of the level must be where you're having guess would be graphics drivers, as HL2 is pretty stable these days on its own...I don't know about boot camp yet because I don't have an intelmac.
  7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005