Problems with hotkeys...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whmees, Nov 25, 2006.

1. whmees macrumors newbie

Howdy guys.

Here's the situation:
    Up until a couple of days ago, I've always used the F11 and F12 keys for certain functions (F11 to show the desktop, and F12 to bring up dashboard). This was working perfectly well until I completed the newest Firmware update, and now the F11 and F12 keys don't seem to register. Whenever assigned to keys other than FN, these functions don't seem to work.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    Thanks in advance
    Whmees

2. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Go to System Preferences --> Dashboard and Expose --> Check your Keyboard and Mouse shortcuts

Under "Desktop" it might have a little dash, so use the drop down menu and set it to F11. The same with Dashboard, only set it to F12.

3. whmees thread starter macrumors newbie

interlaced: thanks for the response, but i've already tried that. that's how i set up f11 and f12 in the first place...

even AFTER changing the settings, the f11 and f12 keys still do not register, despite having registered before i downloaded the firmware update.

when set to other keys, they work alright. i really don't believe that my f11 and f12 key just suddenly broke... is there any way to test if these keys are broken?

thanks in advance.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Go to the International pane in System Preferences, put a check next to "Keyboard Viewer." If you don't have the input menu icon in your menu bar already, also check "Show input menu in menu bar" at the bottom of the preference pane. Then click on the flag in the menu bar and choose Keyboard Viewer. Hit F11 and F12 and see if they flash in Keyboard Viewer.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait, are you saying it works with FN held down? Is Use The F1-F12 Keys To Control Software box ticked in the Keyboard &Mouse pane of System Preferences?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good point, but from what I know, he's got an MBP, and the F11 and F12 keys should work regardless of how that option is set since they don't have an alternate function.

Doesn't hurt to check though.

7. whmees thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Thanks, again, for the responses. I apologize for not noting this earlier, but I use a 15" MBP 1.83 Ghz.

I went ahead and tested the onscreen keyboard and the f11 and f12 keys register (which means they work, I guess...), but they still do not register as hotkeys.

When set to any keys OTHER than F* (i.e. f1-f13), the functions work... right/left shift, right/left ctrl, etc. Unfortunately, I tend to use these keys for other functions and thus they can't really be used by me.

I tried restoring the default settings to no avail. Any other ideas? :(

Thanks.