Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I did a fresh install of OS X Tiger and I downloaded all the necessary updates, etc. I noticed, however, that my airport is unreliable/unresponsive at the airport network in my house unless I have it plugged in. Without the power brick, I do have the settings put to "Better performance," but my airport is still slow and not responsive unless it's plugged in.

any advice? thanks in advance!

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Has it always been like this? Does changing the location of the iBook relative to the base station make any difference? Added any competing radiation sources lately (cordless phone, microwave) or obstacles (any large metal object, like a fridge or a wall of cds)?

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
that kind of thing has never been a problem for me in the past before ... although my parents did recently put a cordless phone outside in our kitchen. perhaps that's what it is?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
The newer cordless phones work on the same 2.4GHz bandwidth as wireless, and although they're supposed to keep out of each other's way, it doesn't always work out that way. You could try changing the channel on the phone (most of them have a setting in there somewhere to try different channels) - it might help with Airport, and give better reception on the phone too. Check that your base station is broadcasting on the correct channel also - i think it's 8 for the US, not sure tho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.