Problems with iBook G4 Airport

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MUCKYFINGERS, May 29, 2006.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I did a fresh install of OS X Tiger and I downloaded all the necessary updates, etc. I noticed, however, that my airport is unreliable/unresponsive at the airport network in my house unless I have it plugged in. Without the power brick, I do have the settings put to "Better performance," but my airport is still slow and not responsive unless it's plugged in.

any advice? thanks in advance!

2. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Has it always been like this? Does changing the location of the iBook relative to the base station make any difference? Added any competing radiation sources lately (cordless phone, microwave) or obstacles (any large metal object, like a fridge or a wall of cds)?

4. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

that kind of thing has never been a problem for me in the past before ... although my parents did recently put a cordless phone outside in our kitchen. perhaps that's what it is?

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The newer cordless phones work on the same 2.4GHz bandwidth as wireless, and although they're supposed to keep out of each other's way, it doesn't always work out that way. You could try changing the channel on the phone (most of them have a setting in there somewhere to try different channels) - it might help with Airport, and give better reception on the phone too. Check that your base station is broadcasting on the correct channel also - i think it's 8 for the US, not sure tho.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So your AirPort reception is dependent on your power source... I guess a PMU reset might be a good place to start the troubleshooting then. :)

7. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

thanks bro!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. MUCKYFINGERS thread starter macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew