Problems with installing HDD, and owner's stupidity!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by benpope, Apr 17, 2003.

1. benpope macrumors newbie

I was tring to install a new HDD in my G4 DP1Ghz...thought it was just a matter of connecting ribbon and PS lead to the HDD and starting up, but then got flashing disk/folder kind of icon. Powered down, and then was going to remove HDD when my hand slipped and the door opened and the door banged on the floor. Now the G4 starts up but the speaker starts making horrible noises. I can live without the speaker as the audio goes through a firewire audio interface...but any ideas?

2. keithcobbett macrumors member

Hmmmm....

Check to make sure that all the connections to the speaker are secure. Also check for any visual damage to the speaker itself. It is possible that it cracked depending on how hard it hit the floor.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i'm really bad at this sort of thing, but i think you need to check jumper settings--one drive should be master and one should be slave. unless they're on separate busses.

i'm assuming here you are installing the drive in addition to the internal drive, with an OS on it...

as for giving it a little slam... well, hope it only affected the speaker :)

pnw

4. benpope thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Well the jumper settings are set so that the new drive is the slave, and it works OK now I have initialized it and all. The speaker continues to make horrific static noises which has been rectified by disconnecting it!!
    The MOTU 828 I have as the audio interface for music sequencing/audio recording is a bit better than the little internal speaker anyway!!

Ben.

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

What kind of horrific noises? Is it static and hissing interrupting the startup tone, or something else? If the hissing and static, you may have damaged the motherboard. I have a G4 400 AGP with a bad motherboard, and occasionally that's the startup sound.

6. benpope thread starter macrumors newbie

Re hissing and static

Yes, hissing and static at startup but also intermittently whenever the Mac is on.