problems with ipod... feeling dumb

Discussion in 'iPod' started by taytho, Sep 12, 2005.

1. taytho macrumors 6502

I recently switched my girlfriend and she got a new emac and ipod mini (perfect for her needs) and she was having some troubles getting her ipod to work. i confidently knew that i could come over and fix things and save the day but when i arrived i was stumped (and then i heard the "i thought you said they were user friendly" which i didnt currently have an argument for)

anyway!

when her ipod is plugged in it never pops up in itunes or anywhere else, but it still says "do not disconnect" on the screen. i tried rebooting the ipod, i tried restarting the computer, putting in itunes five, anything i could think of. i could not figure it out and now i feel like a dimp. somebody help me save face!

TayTho

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do a search for anything with iPod and .PLIST in the file name and delete them. In particular, two files called com.apple.iPod.PLIST. :)

3. imnotquitesure macrumors member

This happened to me when I first got my 40 gigger. It was a firewire problem that went away after I updated my system from 10.3.7 to .8

4. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

this one only has usb.... will that make a difference?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you have all the latest software on both the iPod and the computer, it shouldn't matter if it's USB.

6. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

FIXED !!!!!! Thank you very much guys!

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

I am rather ashamed to say that all it needed was to get ipod updater ran. I was sure i had done this with all the other things i tried but apparently not. Bottom line, it works now!