Problems with iPod Photo and Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sjanus3, Jan 1, 2005.

1. sjanus3 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I have a brandnew iPod Photo which is already the cause for severe headaches! I installed everything from the original disc (iPod application and iTunes), connecteded my iPod (USB) and everything worked just fine. It showed up in the iTunes list and I transfered some music onto the iPod. I disconnected my iPod and still everything worked fine.

Here's my problem: Now, if I want to rconnect to my computer, for example after a restart, iTunes does not recognize the iPod anymore. The harddrive of the iPod still shows up in the finder, but cannot be accessed anymore.

I tried everything:
    - I disabled and removed Norton Utilities and Firewall completely
    - I tried to start iPod Updater (without success; it tells me that it cannot install any firmware, since the firmware for this iPod is not the right one (???)
    - I restarted my machine
    - I reset my iPod (still no changes)
    - finally I took my installation CD, made a complete reset and installed the software (except iTunes) again.

And YES: it worked!!! Unfortunately only once! After I transfer my music and have the iPod back to mormal, disconnect it and reconnect it again, it once again does not recognize it anymore.

Please help! What more can I do. What could cause the problem? Any other conflicting software? Some problem wit USB? It drives me crazy. I installed the same iPod on a friend's machine with the same system and everything seems to work fine there. It reads it immediately!

Thanks for your help!!!!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Someone on here may be able to help you out. If not, you can also check out the forums over at ipodlounge.com. A quick glance and there seems to be quite a few PC users with exactly the same problem as you. One guy fixed it by buying a powered USB hub rather then use the internal one on his computer, but there might be some other solutions as well. Go take a look...

3. sjanus3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you your reply. I'll definitively give it a try with the PC guys as well! There must be a solution...

4. sjanus3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution found!

I found the solution in the forum at ipodlounge.com:
    It has to do with the USB-connection. I connected the ipod with firewire and now it works fine! Thanx again for the link tip.

5. Gee macrumors 65816

No worries!