problems with itunes 6 downgrade - Please Help??!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jjaina, Feb 8, 2007.

1. jjaina macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    I'm hoping that some brilliant person will know something about this...
    I've spent hours on the computer reading forums and trying to figure it out and I feel I am only making things worse.

I have been using itunes 7 for a long time, and have used it to organize my audio files of recordings I've done for a documentary project. So I'd typed up very detailed playlists.

Recently I had to downgrade my mac from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8 because I wanted to use the audio editing software pro-tools, my version of which could not be used on anything higher than 10.3.8

When I tried to open itunes after "archiving and intalling" 10.3.8, itunes would not open. This makes sense since itunes 7 requires at least 10.3.9.

So, I decided I need to downgrade from itunes 7 to itunes 6 in order to use itunes. What I did was reinstall itunes 6.0.5 from a free online download I found somewhere. Before I did this I trashed itunes 7 and the other things you're supposed to trash before you reinstall itunes 6.

I forgot to copy my previous itunes library to the music folder and rename it, but after I realized I needed to do this step I did that.

Now, itunes 6 opens on my computer, but the library is empty!!! I am filled with fear! Does the fact that my old library not show up have anything to do with the fact that the entire library was created while I was using itunes 7?

A suggestion I found on this forum was to find my itunes music folder and drag it onto the itunes icon, which I did. Now all of my music is in my library, but still there there are no sign of the playlists.

Another thing I tried to do was import the xml file library out of itunes music into itunes. That also produced no results.

So my question is, is there any way to retrieve the playlists from my previous itunes 7?

Also, if I hook up my ipod to my computer, (some of the songs were loaded in using itunes 6, some using itunes 7) it won't erase the entire contents of my ipod will it? I just read that somewhere and got worried it was true.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who might be able to help me. I felt bad posting another thread about downgrading to itunes 6, but I have read so many and have not found the answer to help my specific situation.

Many thanks!!!
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Senuti should do exactly what you want. It allows you to transfer all your music/playlists from any iPod to your Mac and it can be used on Panther.
  3. jjaina thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2007
    Thank you for the suggestion but the playlists that I had on my itunes 7 that I needed were not on my ipod. I have them backed up on CDs but unfortunately before I had filled out all of the playlist information.