Problems with .Mac desktop Mail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by darraghsmyth, May 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently signed up for .Mac and successfully configured Mail to send/receive from my @mac.com email address.

However, several times a day, I get a pop-up indicating that the .Mac server did not recognise my username/password when it automatically goes to check for new messages.

It's not clear why this error is happening. The .Mac support online tells me the following:

This is pretty much saying they have a bug in their system. My username/password don't change during the day. Why should have to go to the webmail version to "confirm" my identity? (this does appear to work sometimes).

Any one else have this problem and found an easy solution that doesn't involve changing my password 3 times/day?

darragh

2. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I get this once in a while, too. I think it might be a problem of temporarily not being able to connect to the server. Usually I just cancel the password prompt, and by the time Mail checks again for new messages (15 minutes later), the problem's been cleared up. There's no need to keep entering your password.

3. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I have this issue too, and it's highly annoying, but it always clears itself up after a while if I just cancel the password prompt and try again later. I believe the problem lies at Apple's end, on the .Mac servers - so there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I'll send feedback to Apple about this, and post back if they reply with suggestions.

4. macrumors 6502

davecuse

I get the same thing all the time, I've been pretty unhappy with the actual mail portion of my .mac account. I've wound up mainly using it for iDisk, which serves me well.