Problems with Mac Help and more

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by SimonM, Apr 27, 2004.

1. SimonM macrumors newbie

Waiver: I'm a new mac user.
    Go an Ibook 14 inch 1Ghz (WOW). Updated to MAc osX10.3.3. Installed Protools, Jam, Toast and Nortons):. Slowed down. Found out Nortons and Mac OSX don't get on very well so deleted everything Nortons. Then discovered no Mac Help foprm the Finder menu bar (far right). Get a help outline box and serach bar, but super slow and ball of death appears a wee bit before a message that what I am after is on the net and do I want to go there? (See attachments of screen shots). Anyway on looking at other help menus in utilities folder apps I find they're not going as well. Sniffed around on line and deleted the machelp.psui files in library, tried removing them all and adding one by one to see if one was corrupt but no luch still not working. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You're a bit vague about which files you tried deleting. You should try deleting [home]/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/, and also com.apple.help.plist, com.apple.helpui.plist, com.apple.helpviewer.plist from [home]/Library/Preferences. I had a similar problem a while ago and deleting these files fixed it. You could also try the other solutions at http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/helpviewer.html.