problems with mail and address book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Col127, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

greetings.

i've recently run into some frustrating problems with mail and address book. when i launch address book, it loads up, but the window for address book doesn't show up so i can't see anything, nor does it go into address book at all. it basically doesn't respond, so i have to force quit it to quit the program. with mail, i can't quit the program unless i use force quit. also, when it's retrieving mail, it gets stuck. it can recognize the new mail on the server, but it doesn't download all of it. it just hangs at one of them.

any suggestions? i don't want to format to fix this.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I would try repairing permissions and perhaps deleting the preference files for mail.app and addressbook.

3. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

permissions were all fine. deleting prefs for addy book lets me at least launch the app, but i can't do anything in it or it will stop responding and i have to force quit. any ideas? i don't really want to trash my mail prefs since i'll have to import my files once again. any other options?

i figured out the problem. there was something wrong with the helvetica font in mac os x. once i fixed that, everything worked fine. how odd.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Glad you managed to fix it and find the root of your problems - that sure is odd though!