Problems with Messenger.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by missjuly, Oct 3, 2006.

1. missjuly macrumors newbie

I cant seem to log on to messenger, I just downloaded it last night and it worked fine, but today i cant log in, when I try it says I dont have an internet connection and something about server not responding?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have the same problem, and cannot connect to the iTS, can you?

3. missjuly thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry but what is iTS? Im kind of new to this..:eek:

4. codo macrumors 6502

iTunes Store (The store button in iTunes - "iTunes Store" with a green shopping bag icon to the left of the text.)

The new version of messenger (We are talking about Microsoft MSN:Mac here?) has been a bit like this with me too. The older version running in Rosetta wasn't. Might just be a teething problem.

5. missjuly thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol thanks. No itunes store is working fine. And yes im talking about Microsoft MSN : MAC, it says the service is not available... But it worked fine yesterday? im I doing anything wrong?

6. McBain macrumors member

I'm having a similar problem, but maybe it's slightly more bizarre.

I upgraded OS X to 10.4.8 last night and updated Messenger to version 6 as well. Now I can't log in to the service.

I thought maybe it was version 6, so I trashed that, downloaded 5.1 and installed that again. No dice. It sort of logs in - it gets to the window but it doesn't open my buddy list.

I downloaded Adium and got the same result. Not able to log in.

I have a spare Mac lying around - an old Powerbook. I had version 4 on there. So I logged in, and I got the same no-buddy-list error as with 5.1.

I am able to log in using Live Messenger on PC. My fiancee is also able to log in on version 4 on the old Powerbook.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

To use Microsoft Messenger 5.x and above on Mac, you have to have a Passport i.d. You can't use older types, as you can on Windows. You also can't add them to your contact list.

8. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

My advice is get Mercury Messenger, which works far better, and is a lot more reliable as i have never had any errors about logging in with it.