Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micheleireys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I recently found MetaX and it was the answer to my problems, tagging a large Video library so it looks nice with my Apple TV. At first it would work great, then it started to not work... I will add a movie file, any movie file, and it won't pull up any tagging choices in the left hand column.

I downloaded the version for Leopard, I was told by the website it would work on Mountain Lion... and it did at first.

I have read and reread their user guide/info. All my files are mp4 or m4v.

Anyone out there think they can help me?

My Mac is the 27" iMac purchased mid 2011.

Thanks in advance! Michele

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I didn't have many tags to choose from using it recently. I'm assuming part of it has to do with the app not being updated in a few years and perhaps people moved on to another app. I found another one that adds HD tags, but that's all I use it for.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I didn't have many tags to choose from using it recently. I'm assuming part of it has to do with the app not being updated in a few years and perhaps people moved on to another app. I found another one that adds HD tags, but that's all I use it for.

MetaX works for me, mostly. I cant use the barcode scanner, and its glitchy when looking for anything online, but it works well enough that I consider it convenient. Still, if anyone find s a better option, please post it here.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Subler is the other tagging app I use. As I said I have only used it to tag some home movies with the little HD logo. Some things are baffling as to why Apple doesn't make it easier since every iPhone sold now records HD videos.

micheleireys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you! I will try Meta Z.

----------

I do use Handbrake, but not for Tagging. Can you tag movies with Handbrake? And I've never heard of iFlicks, I'll check that out too. Thank you!!
Handbrake does not tag. He was suggesting using iFlicks for tagging instead of MetaZ.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I recently found MetaX and it was the answer to my problems, tagging a large Video library so it looks nice with my Apple TV. At first it would work great, then it started to not work... I will add a movie file, any movie file, and it won't pull up any tagging choices in the left hand column.

I downloaded the version for Leopard, I was told by the website it would work on Mountain Lion... and it did at first.

I have read and reread their user guide/info. All my files are mp4 or m4v.

Anyone out there think they can help me?

My Mac is the 27" iMac purchased mid 2011.

Thanks in advance! Michele

This may sound like a dumb question, but did you install MetaX or are you just running it in main memory? Once open the software in the pop-up box will have the icons, read me, and extra stuff. You have to drag the MetaX icon to your applications folder to make it install properly. Before you do this you have to change the security settings to allow you to install 3rd party software. If you don't change the security settings, ML will not allow you to install the software.

If you do not install the software properly, MetaX will run in main memory. Sure, it will work fine for a while, but as soon as your memory is full, it will cause issues. Try this and see if it works.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Thank you! I will try Meta Z.

----------

I do use Handbrake, but not for Tagging. Can you tag movies with Handbrake? And I've never heard of iFlicks, I'll check that out too. Thank you!!

Sorry I didn't clarify, I use iFlicks to tag. It works great, be sure to check it out.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Dump Meta X and pick up Meta Z.

It works way better and has full support.

Link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36029/metaz

You are my hero for sharing that. MetaX was definitely the best at adding everything except the little HD logo. I don't know if X did it, but I was able to search for tagging info based on the episode name (ex: The Big Bang Theory 101) and get most everything I needed. If there was a "check all" box again, it would be PERFECT.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
You are my hero for sharing that. MetaX was definitely the best at adding everything except the little HD logo. I don't know if X did it, but I was able to search for tagging info based on the episode name (ex: The Big Bang Theory 101) and get most everything I needed. If there was a "check all" box again, it would be PERFECT.

Hey your welcome.

I had the same problem myself about a week ago. I am so glad this worked out for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.