Problems with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 17, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Problems with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
    Description:: Non Stop Mac reader Bud points out a very insidious error with Microsoft Word 2008 that has been making his installation on a 4GB MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.1 pretty useless. He said: "Word 2008 crashes on me if I resize the main window from its' (narrow) default, then restart. Have to delete the pref file to get it to open normally again."

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors newbie

Actually Office 2008 has many problems... (Or Issues?)

Microsoft lists a number of issues with the Office 2008 that was shipped within the help file. Some of them are fairly significant.

WORD:

Bitmap images cannot be dragged into a Word document from the Finder

Cannot copy and paste objects between Office 2004 and Office 2008

Cannot copy and paste objects into an Adobe Illustrator window

Citations within footnotes do not update automatically

Documents might appear to be lost or damaged when you save to a Remote Home Folder

Documents that contain a WMF or EMF graphic cannot be saved as a Web page

Equations saved from Word 2007 for Windows do not appear in Word 2008 for Mac

Images in a Word document might not appear when the document is inserted into Excel

Images might align incorrectly in HTML output or e-mail attachments

Japanese text in a document saved from Word 2007 for Windows might appear as boxes in Word 2008 for Mac

Ligatures created in Word 2008 for Mac do not appear in Word 2007 for Windows

Office documents might not display correctly when saved to an NFS network location

Shapes and other objects might print incorrectly in older versions of Mac OS X

Some charts do not convert to the new chart format if you save a document in an XML-based file format

Soft shadows might convert to hard shadows in documents saved from Word 2007 for Windows

The thumbnail for the Day Care Flyer is incorrect

Word cannot print documents based on the Theatrical Poster template

Excel:

Black-and-white printer settings do not apply to some objects

Office documents might not display correctly when saved to an NFS network location

Paper size is not saved in XML-based workbooks

Sheets that contain rotated text might not display correctly when you delete a column

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac cannot be edited in Office for Windows

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac might not display correctly when opened in Office for Windows

PowerPoint:

Animated GIF files

Compatibility with Mac OSX v10.5 (Leopard)

Presentations that contain iTunes files

Slide show performance

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac cannot be edited in Office for Windows

Some objects created in Office 2008 for Mac might not display correctly when opened in Office for Windows

Two instances of the same presentation opened in different versions of PowerPoint on the same computer

Two instances of the same presentation opened on an SMB server by two users

Entourage:

Animated GIF files

Compatibility with Mac OSX v10.5 (Leopard)

Presentations that contain iTunes files

Slide show performance

Two instances of the same presentation opened in different versions of PowerPoint on the same computer

Two instances of the same presentation opened on an SMB server by two users
    ---------------------------------
    Finally I uncovered one more issue while posting this 'hint', the Help window can become unresponsive or just disappear all together while trying to clip out known issues!

However, I couldn't
    reproduce your issue (crash after resize/restart). Try this operation with a new or clean guest user account; it may be due to other third party software.

3. macrumors newbie

office 2008 sucks

how about not being able to sync entourage with your blackberry...all that money...all those brains...and what do they care about...pretty crap that 90% of users will never use...and they ignore a bread & butter issue for all biz users...what a bunch of head in the clouds dummies

4. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Just installed Office for Mac 2008

...and it's slowing down my computer already, i swear

sitting still it's using 1.22GB of virtual memory and 200MB of active memory

plus it still takes ages to start up

forgive me if i sound like a spoiled brat, but with C2D 2.13GHz and 4GB RAM, i expect near instant word processor start up

i had high hopes for the new office for mac, but it's a real let-down

i'm seriously thinking of uninstalling

5. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

That sounds like a recipe for a craptacular success, personally I just use iWork08.

6. macrumors 6502a

Caris

Yeah iWork is far better than office anyways IMO.

7. macrumors regular

Domofloge

WOW this definately sucks hearing how buggy Office '08 is considering I already ordered the upgrade. Guess ill get my $10 bucks back. haha.

8. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes when it comes to the bussiness world iWork can not cut it. Unless it can work perfectly all the time with MS word then it is not going to fly. Word is the standard in the bussiness world like it or not.

that being said M$ needs to get those bugs work out pretty quickly because it is breaking ithe rules it set with office 08 that being it does not play nice with office 07 and before.

Now I personally like office 07 and think it was a much needed improvement over office 03. I have not played with office 08 yet but I giong to assume its set up is a lot like 07. If the bugs get worked out it will be a great program.

9. macrumors 603

Warbrain

I know that I could never get Word 2008 to spellcheck a document and it would always crash after I finished.

10. macrumors newbie

"There is a problem with your Office database"

I get this annoying dialog box every time I open an Office 2008 application. The rest of the dialog box tells me how to use the Microsoft Database Utility to fix my Office database. Only one problem with all of this: I do not have an Office database, so of course the utility cannot find one to fix. This is nagging the crap out of me. Someone please tell me how to make it go away?

Oh yeah, I'm running 10.5.1 on a MBPro 2.16G C2D with a 320G HD.

Thanks,
    Alan

11. macrumors regular

Sometimes I wonder whether Microsoft even has people test their products before they are released. Many of the bugs listed should have never made it out of the test group. :mad:

12. macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm unable to open word 08 at all. It just sends and error report, restarts and goes back to the error report screen. Deleting the pref file doesn't fix it either. It concerns me that Microsoft have not released a single update after 10 days of the program being unusable. This is a serious issue for me because my university has upgraded to Office 2007 so I need 08 to make an attempt at using documents between them. Somebody please fix this!

13. macrumors newbie

Dittim

Simply unbelievable... I realize that M$ only cares about one thing, but they have really shot themselves in the foot on this one. With blackberry users being the largest business group and the increase in Leopard users, it seems unconscionable to remove this functionality.

I am baffled and judging from the other posts here, am no longer looking forward to receiving my BFD copy. I will have no choice but to look at iWork.

What a waist.

14. macrumors regular

It's OK for me - ???

Hi -

Perhaps I'm not as much of a heavy user as some of you, but so
    far, everything I've done works fine in Office 2008. Granted, I don't
    use Entourage (I use Missing Sync for my Palm TX), and there are
    a few items in Dennis Foster's post that will probably impact me.
    But in general, this install was painless for me. (BTW, it would not
    allow me to register the product, saying the Product ID was invalid!
    Turns out it was/is a problem with the site - a 'phone call got me
    through the registration with no issues.)

Today, I've been able to open 1-5 year old documents (ppt, xls, doc),
    and it's as fast as Office 2004 was (a few seconds to open a file). I
    have some StarOffice files that will not open - need to figure out why
    (I'm guessing I'll have to "import" or filter them in some way). And
    I need to run a compatibility test with some local PC buddies - I do
    have some files that definitely look different on Mac vs. PC.

Otherwise, no show stoppers . . . (I'm on a G5 iMac and running
    10.5.1)

15. macrumors member

I simply can't beleive what I get when I openned a document with word 2008. I'm an engineering student so formulas are part of an usual report. Not only all the formulas are messed up but a few pictures shows completely distorted and pixelized results. I'll have to install office 2003 in bootcamp to be able to work... All these bugs listed shouldn't have passed any alpha tests.

16. macrumors newbie

entourage sync service gone wild

i got around the blackberry sync by syncing entourage to address book & ical, and then syncing the mac aps to to bb. worked ok until entourage sync service went nuts...completely deleted contents of address book & ical, got beach balls spinning & fan running full time. deleting & reinstalling office 2008 led to same situation...solution...uninstall 2008 & reinstall 2004...everything works perfectly...btw - i have an intel macbook...2 GHz core 2 duo...2 GB ram...leopard 10.5.1...did an archive & install update...no other issues...

17. macrumors regular

OK, I take it back . . . :^(

Today is indeed another day - now I'm having problems:

1. No way to open ODF files (.odt, .ods, .odp) - error message is
    "the file is corrupt and cannot be opened". M$ Tech Support tried to
    open the file (which opens just fine in NeoOffice), but can't.

Is there an ODF converter plugin for Office 2008? Looks like "Plan B"
    is to open file in Neo, save as Word .doc, then open in Word 2008.

2. A .doc file from a PC opens, but Word 2008 corrupts some of the
    letters (e.g., "Business" became "Nusiness", regardless of how many times
    I correct it, or what key I type).

3. Complains that Word 6 compatibility mode is on, when in fact it's
    set for Word 97/2000/XP.

So - back to Office 2004, I think. Hope I can have both 2004 and 2008
    installed at the same time . . .

18. macrumors 6502

I have the same issue!!!

Kimo

19. macrumors newbie

I just bough the full office 2008 package and I just wish I hadn't.

Among others:

I am trying to open .ppt and .pps files that were originally created on a PC (office 2003), but they always come up messed up on the powerpoint 2008, despite having all the necessary fonts.

Also, whenever I try to open password protected powerpoint PC 2003 files, it just pops up a window announcing that the file is DRM protected and I should try and open one that is not! Although I know the password, it won't even give the chance to use it.

Did anyone else encounter this ?

20. Bay
    macrumors newbie

Problem opening files by double clicking their icon

Hi,
    Just downloaded Microsoft Office 2008 + the update... I cannot always open documents (for example on the desktop). If for example I had Word running, and then went to the desktop to double click something open, it is non responsive - nothing opens!

The only way I can get things to open is by going to file.. open.. and locating the doc

Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,
    Bay

PS. I have had HUGE problems with this new Office crashing and I would not advise anyone to buy it, even when its running for more than 5 mins without crashing, the features are not good enough. :mad:

21. macrumors newbie

Icepik

The only issue I've had was it shutting down randomly without any notification of an error. It works fine on my blackbook, but has issues on the girlfriends.

Other than that the random crashes it seems to work fine:)

22. macrumors 65816

arogge

Maybe "nusiness" is a new kind of business methodology.

I got a set of Microsoft Word files this week. Two of them had garbage text at the top and bottom of the document, and one of them was unreadable. The unreadable document contained this text:

{
    A * B 2t 2 M;C14m42d 7 s7 s1 Ced;*G3*H1 h4t 1oSeP3e*P57 jP4ed d 5 T7AS6eL;*S11s;j 5o67 R 1 m2t eW
    }

It's funny when the same people who would tell me to "just buy Microsoft Office" now demand that I save my files as Microsoft Office 2000 or older formats because they can't read the latest version of the proprietary formats. "That's what we use" is the reply if I suggest paying more money for the new version, and they still refuse to switch away from Microsoft Office.

23. macrumors regular

Sorry I haven't updated the group on my recent "trials and tribulations",
    but I have learned a few things:

1. The 12.1.0 SP1 used to crash my system until I a) got rid of my
    copy of Office 2004 and b) deleted the files called "Office 2004 Identities"
    and "Office 2008 Identities" that are in /Users/(home)/Documents/
    Microsoft User Data. I then reinstalled Office 2008 and the 12.1.0 SP1,
    and everything works fine. There still seems to be some intermittent
    issues with Spaces under 10.5.3, but it's a lot better than Office 2008
    was in 10.5.2 . . .

2. If you "Save As" a file in "Word 97-2004 Document (.doc)", you should
    have no problems with other PC Office users reading and writing the file.
    I have had success with Windows 2000 through XP, and varying versions of
    Word.

And I've also confirmed this in my daughter's new MacBook . . . I've sent
    her files to her work PC, and she has sent me the same file modified back
    to my G5 iMac, with no problems, and she has done the same to and from
    her MacBook.

I think ".docx" is "not ready for prime time" if for no other reason than I
    think PC people don't have this on their systems yet.

By the by, I used to have regular success using NeoOffice sending .doc, .xls,
    and .ppt files to and from my Sun Solaris system at work from my iMac
    from home over a VPN connection, and then to and from PCs of various
    flavors all over the world. On the Sun side was StarOffice.

Hope this helps . . .

24. macrumors newbie

problems with office 2008. SCRAP IT

Hi,

I have office 2008 and its been nothing but problems since I've had it. it will crash when it feels like it. Its like being back on a pc instead of the rock solid performance of a mac. I've gone back to office 2004, but to be honest scrap all office programs and use iworks. Office 2008 is a nightmare to use and its worth nothing more than taking the disk and throwing into the sky and shooting it with a 12g. Stick to mac applications there solid and Iworks is a fraction of the price and iworks will do what office will do without the typical pc headaches of crashing and getting infected by the pc mystery super bugs. Basically office is what you leave in the washroom most mornings and then wipe!!!!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH IT.

25. macrumors newbie

Powerpoint 2008

I have a file sent to me that was created in Office 2007 when I try to view it in Office 2008 only the formatting on a inserted table in powerpoint is changed. It looks small and blurry any thoughts?