Problems with Microsoft

Discussion in 'Community' started by dynamicd, Feb 1, 2003.

1. dynamicd macrumors 6502

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

3. Will Jones macrumors member

:eek: I honestly thought Macs stood a much lower chance of being infected with a virus.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Consumer reports has about 10 mac users... hehe.

tho i did submit that I didn't get a virus... anyway M$ sucks on protecting.

5. Will Jones macrumors member

So you have had viruses in the past?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i love new pc users switching to mac. now instead of telling them viruses dont exist for mac, i sell them .mac. ah the world of manipulation. the only people i have sold virus protection too who know that viruses arent for macs are reps for wal mart and tyson. there data is too valuable to risk, plus the cost of the virus software for them is pennys under the matress.

iJon

7. Will Jones macrumors member

For you information, I haven't switched!... But I will ASAP :D. You are telling me that viruses don't exist on Apples, aren't you? Hmmm... that would make you (pause) WRONG... wouldn't it?

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont understand, wrong about what?

iJon

9. Will Jones macrumors member

It is a known fact that Apple computers (Yes, thats right. Windows machines aren't the only computers to have ever been infected with viruses ;) ) have, in the past, been infected.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes it is known that humans can grow a 6th finger, but how many people do you know with one. i know its not impossible for a virus for a mac, but you can ask anybody on this thread if they are scared about virures on the mac. im not and i will bet most if not everyone on this thread isnt scared about viruses on the mac. thats all i was saying.

iJon

11. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

I have been using Mac for more than a year now, and yet to have any virus..where as at work i have to install patch after patch of M$ software. Most of Mac virus are Word Macro virus, so if u stay clean of M$ products, ur much safer :)

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

there is one person, who else wants to agree with me.

iJon

13. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Re: Re: Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

Ooh ooh me me! lol...Yes, there do exist viruses for the Mac, but they are extremely rare, and as jaykk mentioned, you are even less likely to get a virus if you stay away from Microsh*t products. Though iJon did say "now instead of telling them viruses dont exist for mac ", I'm sure he didn't mean it literally...right?

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

exactly, when i tell them they dont exist they know i mean that they wont have to worry about them, which makes them very happy, can we say "klez" victims.

iJon

15. Will Jones macrumors member

YES, it is known that humans are (rarely) able to grow a 6th finger. That is a F A C T. Just because it is extremely rare does not mean we can blatantly disregard it.

16. Will Jones macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

If thats the case, then I didn't interpret his post as he intended. But I don't think that was how he inteded it to be read.

17. Will Jones macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Even I doubt the claim of Virus in Mac

(Oops. I just read this.)
    Well why didn't you say that before?!? ;) :rolleyes:

(Three posts in a row :eek: ; I feel naughty :D )

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok ok enough of this gotta be perfect with everything we say act. yes it is possible. it just takes a smart guy to write one. but until that smart guy comes around i will continue to disregard the fact of virii for the mac and continue to unprotect my computer with protection. and i will continue to tell my customers that they dont need to worry because i havent had one customer come back to me and said i lied to them. if they still feel uncomfortable, i will send them out the door with a copy of .mac. i dont see the point of writing a virus for the mac in the first place, why write a virus for a platform that is barely used and probably to hard to code in the first place to actually do some damage instead of writing a virus that can cause damage to like 90+% of the computers out there and spend the rest of your life worrying abotu going to jail.

iJon

19. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

i never had virus on mac, or heard somebody has it.. i dont think such thing as virus on macs even exists!

20. Will Jones macrumors member

You've raised an interesting point ("why write a virus for a platform..."). I often wonder (when the subject arises) just what goes through the minds of those that write viruses... What is their motivation to write such malicious programs? And I think that you only need one "smart guy" that, for some reason unknown to mankind, (literally) hates the Apple community. I think it would be extremely difficult to justify such emotion/motivation to do such a thing, but that is what it will take. And if it does happen, many people will point at you, call you a lier and you will have to explain to them what exactly you ment when you said "viruses dont exist for mac".

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha your right. they will be as surprised as i am. then i will sell them .mac. all i can say is bring on the viruses, although the mac will lose another one their special touches. but if it means me making more money them im all for it. but i wouldnt get to excited about a mac virus coming. i think most people would write one for the mac just to stun people because we wouldnt expect it. from what ive read it is way harder to write a virus that can do some major damage to a mac compared to a pc, any programmers out there want to help me out on this one. oh yeah, do you guys ever wonder if symantec have guys locked up in cubicles writing viruses to drive sales.

iJon

22. Will Jones macrumors member

Further more, in effect, what you are saying (to your customers, and to me) is not only that viruses do not exist on the Mac platform, but they never will.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

will oh will oh will, there will never be an end to this, oh well its a good convo, i will explain. when a customer asks me about virus protection this is what i say. i tell them i have yet to see a virus for a mac that would make me think twice i tell them i dont run virus protection software on my computer, and i dont know any mac users friends of mine who do either. until i see a virus i will continue to tell my customers this. now i develop a connection with my customer if they are buying a mac and they take my opinion very seriously even though im 17. they trust me with my decision and they go home without virus protection software. they dont ahve to worry about the klez, or bug bear or any of that crap anymore because i just put a mac on their desk. now if they still feel uncertain, i will sell the norton antivirus or .mac. are you trying to prove a point to me will, because you keep nit picking at every point i make and its getting annoying. im not trying to be mean but if your trying to prove me wrong about virures on macs please back up what you say because i havent seen anyone on this thread agree with you about viruses. please just understand what im saying and taking every word for word so seriously.

iJon

24. Will Jones macrumors member

Really?!? What is .Mac's retail value?
    Please, don't get me wrong... I am, by no means concievable, hoping for someone to write a virus for Macs. :(
    Really?!? What is .Mac's retail value?
    I can believe that.
    LOL. Yes, the thought has crossed my mind on numerous occasions.

25. Will Jones macrumors member

That is all very nice, but you tolled me, and correct me if I'm wrong, you said that you tolled your customers that macs do not get viruses. I was not aware that what you tolled your customers involved any of the above... Had I been, it would have been more difficult for me to develop my argument.

To be honest, Jon... Yes, in a sence I am trying to prove a point. However, not for the sake of being difficult, rather becasue I enjoy debating and getting to the bottom of intricate and very specific problems/arguments.