problems with MPEG 4 playback when embeded in webpage

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nerveosu, Jul 3, 2002.

1. nerveosu macrumors member

I can not play video or audio files encoded in mpeg 4 when they are embeded in a web page. These are files that end with the .mp4 file extention. They will not work if they are progresively downloaded or streamed with quicktime server 4. The do play fine if I play the files in the stand alone quicktime player. I tried it with a pc and I have the same problems.

If i encode the file into mpeg 4 audio/video but in the .mov file format, everything works fine.

Can someone tell me why?

I have encoded files in the MPEG 4 format with Quicktime 6 preview edition.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

You don't suppose this might have something to do with qt6 being a beta release, do you?

If you're not happy with it, go back to qt5.

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: problems with MPEG 4 playback when embeded in webpage

besides the fact its beta.. the problem may be that you are trying to access the file locally -- it may not be acessible properly unless actually put onto a remote server...

the other problem may be the way you are implementing the file into your page.. if you look at apple's web page for demoing MPEG4 (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/mpeg4_gallery/) none of the videos run in the browser.. they all run in QT.. MPEG4 in IE may not (is probably not) supported yet...

4. nerveosu thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I think I tried it at to access my steaming server from work and the file would still not play when accessed from another computer.

Also.. I thought this was a "polished beta", I think it is for the most part done. I hope they figure it out.

MPEG 4 creates small files.

-bill