Problems with MSN Messenger...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loztheguru, Aug 15, 2006.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

Actually, the title is a little misleading, as the problem is a little further reaching, but ill explain:

Basically, I can connect to MSN through either Messenger or Adium. In addition to this, certain sites (youtube and myspace are the two ive noticed) wont load in either camino or safari. The only thing ive done recently that maybe might have caused this is to run peerguardian.

Anyone offer any advice for me?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure what problem you're having with MSN Messenger but as far as running peerguardian, it sounds as if it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do--keep kids away from possible trouble.

You could probably run peerguardian to remove those sites from the list and allowed them to be accessed.

3. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

the problem with MSN is that it wont let me sign in. Peerguardian is no longer running, so it cant be that.

Any tips?

4. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

this is probably of no use but MSN really is a total bender. it does that regularily 2 me but it may just work in the end. try logging into hotmail or whatever on safari then see if u can log into msn. or reinstall msn. also myspace is a plonker atm n is taking ages 2 fully load on my mac so its nto jst you. just be patient :)

5. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

okay, now this is really starting to annoy me.

Ive no idea what the problem is, but neither of my MSN clients (adium and MSN) will let me connect, coming up with a "server cannot be reached" error. Ive been trying to fix this for almost a week now, its beyond a joke. Myspace is still not working.

Ive cleared the cache of my browser, re-ran several apllications, tried force-quitting both clients but still no joy. Emessenger/ebuddy will allow me to sign in no problem, and if i boot into windows i can connect no problems there too. Its driving me crazy!

Can anyone help me out here?

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you checked to see if the port is open through the firewall?

Attached Files:

7. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

i dont have firewall turned on. I really dont understand this, when i do nslookup www.youtube.com in terminal, it comes back fine...

what the hell is going on!?!?!?

8. Asian God macrumors newbie

problems with msn instant messages

some of my contacts can communicate just fine with me but others can't see me send im's and vice versa. anyone else have this issue? they can see me online and we have talked elsewhere so I know i am not just being ignored. sometimes they can see im's for a few minutes but thenit stops.