Problems with my mac mail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by debs72, Aug 21, 2004.

1. debs72 macrumors newbie

I just got a cable modem with my local provider and am trying to set up Mac mail with my new accounts. I DO NOT want Outlook. I use Mac mail at work with no problems and it interfaces with my address book beautifully.

So, I just can't seem to get this going. I tried a few times setting up the accounts and apparently made some setting mistakes which left me with a bunch of servers listed on under the setup. I looked in help and it said:
    "Verify that all servers are in use by accounts. Choose Mail > Preferences and click Accounts. Select an account. Choose Edit Server List from the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) pop-up menu. A list of servers appears. An entry in the third column next to a server shows that it is in use. If there is no entry in the third column, you can select the server and click Remove Server, then click Done."

I couldn't see a third column next to the servers and I couldn't Remove Server. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Debbie :confused:

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Are you running Mac OS X 10.3.5?

In Mail.app using this Panther version (Mail version 1.3.9), it can be done.
    Maybe not exactly as described.
    In Mail >> Preferences >> Accounts >> "SMTP pop-up menu" >> "Edit server list"

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

3. debs72 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm running 10.2. It does not show Edit Server list. It just shows all the servers that I added. I want to go back and start from scratch, but I can't if those smtp servers are all still there. I wonder if it can't be done in Jaguar?
    Is it possible to reinstall JUST Mail?

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ah.. in 10.2.x it sadly is not an option...

But,
    You can trash your mail settings and inboxes etc.

In your home directory you can find your settings and preferences:

In /Users/<yourname>/Library/Mail/ (=mailboxes)
    In /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (=settings)

You can try to trash these files, and start again.

!! Your mailboxes will be deleted though !!

It might be a good idea to leave these files in the trash, so don't "empty trash" immediatly.... so you can put them back if something went wrong.

5. debs72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I followed your direction and was able to delete all the bad smtp servers listed. However, I've been on the phone with tech support for my provider and we just can't get this mac mail to pick up or send mail no matter what we try or what settings we use. I can't imagine why, I have the exact same program at work and I use it with no troubles. Do you have any thoughts?

Debbie

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Strange...

There is nothing "special" about Mac OS X's mail.app.
    The only different thing is the integrated .Mac support.

Just the usual questions:
    You sure you got the mail-type correct? Either POP, or IMAP. Make sure .Mac is not selected.
    Got the POP (or IMAP) server addresses correct? Username / password?

I suppose you went through all of those many of times already, esp. since you use it at work, and had the tech support on the phone.

Hope it works out!

7. debs72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...this is so weird. It just started working and now seems everything is fine. I have one more question, if you don't mind. I'm used to AOL and having to sign in with each screen name and having privacy with email, etc. Is there any way I can have privacy with Mac mail? As it is, anybody in my family can pick up anybody else's email. Do we have to resort to web-based mail to have email accounts that nobody else can read?

Debbie

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You could also not enter your password in your Mail settings.
    Therefore mail will ask for your password when retrieving new mail.

BTW glad to hear that it is working now! :)