Problems with my netgear router

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by prostuff1, Sep 11, 2005.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, i have had two netgear routers now. The first was a 30 dollar one that went weird after a power outing. It would not keep the settings and it would not allow any internet after about 1 hour. So i went and got another one (more expensive) and it was working great for about a week. it went out friday night so i reset it and everything was working fine. Well last night at about 1 a.m. it went down again. I reset it this morning but this is making me really mad. This is the second Netgear that i have had do this to me. I called tech support and, while they were very helpful setting the router up, they blamed the problem on me DSL provider. I pointed out to them that it was not the DSL because if i unplug the router and plug in just my modem it works just fine and NEVER dies on me.

When the router "goes down" it cuts out all internet. To the one wired mac and the 2 wireless macs. I checked for firmware updates and stuff like that but nothing.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

this probably won't be of much help, but my girlfriend and I both had the same WiFi Netgear router...on macs. She always had problems with it (having to reset it every hour or so...happened on PC, too), mine worked fine. When we moved in together, we just used mine... :)

At some point we thought it might be a problem with her neighbors, some interference stuff with their network maybe, so she changed the channel. It seemed to work better for a while, but it still wasn't 100%... :confused:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Netgear used to be a benchmark of stability for Mac users, but it is sorely lacking these days. :(

It's probably not you, and probably the router.

Quite a few people have started complaining about them these days.

Edit: don't have much hope of them upgrading the firmware either to fix a lot of these problems, but that's always worth a look to see if they actually have an update on their site.

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Had exactly the same problems .... drove me nuts! Sold it on ebay and got myself a linksys.... never had any troubles last 18 months

5. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I just checked the site to see about the firware and everything is good there.

I am trying to find a replacment now. Anyone have suggestion. I have looked into Linksys and most people seem to like them. But my good they are ugly!!

I will have one computer hard wired to the router and two that will be wireless.

So any suggestion on brands and models would be nice...along with links.

Thanks so much for any help

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Are you looking for a decoration or a good wireless router? :D

I have the Linksys WRT54G running the wifi-box firmware.

7. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

That is the router i was looking at and have found that a lot of people like it. What about the WRT54GS version?? Is that just as good and worth the extra money??

And i have seen and heard about the firmware hacks but what exactly are they and what do the do?? I really need to be enlightend on that subject!!

Thanks

8. belvdr macrumors 601

The GS model simply adds the Linksys turbo mode (if you can call it that). I don't think anything but a Linksys GS-compatible card will link at 108Mbps. That's why I stick the G model.

The firmware adds the ability to control your transmit rate and such. I just put an AP at our church, and decided to stick with the stock firmware. It's been running great for couple of weeks now.

9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I shouldn't have posted to this thread... today, my router stopped working. Couldn't get it to work, so we hooked up my gf's router which is now working.

I think Netgear must build timers into their routers...

10. free_missouri macrumors newbie

Linksys WRT54G for OS 9.1, OS 10.1, and OS 10.3

Hi Y'All,

We just purchased and setup a Linksys WRT54G for our three Macs. Each of the Macs is running a different OS: 9.1, 10.1, and 10.3.

I was able to update the Linksys firmware with the 8/25/05 release.

All three computers are able to connect to the internet and it is blissful, but we are worried about it being an open node.

• desktop G3 PowerPC running 9.1 plugs into the router via ethernet.
    • G3 Pismo running 10.3 has an Airport card (version 1)
    • G4 iBook running 10.1 with an Airport card (version unknown)

I tried turning on the WPA security feature to force users of our wireless network to enter a password. The Pismo handled it fine, but the iBook kept saying the password was incorrect (though it was not).

So I have three questions:

1. What are the security risks of running an open (no password required) wireless network "straight out of the box," with our above listed setup?

2. Why isn't the iBook able to connect?

3. What do I need to change (specificially) in the Linksys configuration to allow me to use Tor? Will these adjustments leave my housemates who do not use Tor vulnerable?

I LOVE THE INTERNET (maybe too much, in fact).

Thank you for time and energy.

-The blue house on N. Missouri

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would think the main risk would be someone using your connection to surf for free or do some sort of unethical or illegal activity- If you live close to others they might be able to connect- don't know what info you have on your computers as far as financial stuff but would be some risk there I would think?

What is Tor?

Where abouts in Mo? I went to school in Columbia, wife is from NW MO and I grew up in KC.

12. free_missouri macrumors newbie

I think it was Ghandi that said something to the effect privacy is the enemy of freedom. That is RAD and I try to live in a way that follows that tenet. However I am not okay with commercial ventures using my patterns. I don't like the idea of commercial websites knowing my location, which is Portland, Oregon ;) free_missouri refers to my street: Google map.

So I use Tor, "an anonymous Internet communication system." Check out http://tor.eff.org. I use Privoxy too, a web proxy that kills banner ads: http://www.privoxy.com. I like them both. Sometimes when I go to Google it pops up the German Google (www.google.de). :D

I am not worried about people accessing my computer (unless it is ill intentioned of course). The best thing on it is an album by Jean Grae I just picked up, w00t w00t. But I can not speak for my housemates. I am not worried about the bandwidth, it tops out at 30 kb/s, a hair faster than dial up.

I just want to figure out how to turn on a password on the Linksys WRT54G and still be able to use Tor and let the other computers connect.

Word!

13. belvdr macrumors 601

What about cookies? Does Tor take care of those?

14. free_missouri macrumors newbie

Tor doesn't take care of cookies directly.

A program that does deal with cookies is PithHelmet: www.culater.net/...

I think there is an open source fixit/patch for the Linksys WRT54G firmware that is more secure than the one provided by Linksys.

Holla'!