Problems with my new modem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JD92, May 30, 2005.

1. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I just bought an 'ADSL Wireless-G Router' which doesnt seem to work with my mac. It uses an ethernet port. I was using the Network Setup Assistant and clicked on the 'Assist me' button and went through the wizard. It said there was a few bits that I would need to ask my ISP about, so I gave them a phone and they told me since it wasn't one of their modems (they use crappy Alcatel Speedtouch USB, yes USB, modems), they couldn't help me much.
    They told I needed to use PPPoA (of the options my mac gave me onscreen, this wasnt one). But then I noticed that in the network diagnostics bit, all of the little buttons/lights were red, which I guess means it didn't/doesn't recognise my modem.

So, anyone got any words of wisdom?

EDIT: And can you beleive my provider (Wanadoo, by the way) charges 50p/min for calls to their mac help desk? And you can get PC help for just the price of a local call :eek:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Try to get it working 'wired' first with the ethernet cable plugged into the router and into the Mac.

It will probably (in the router's instructions - knowing which manufacturer/model would be useful) tell you a local IP address to go to in your browser so you can set up the router. That's where you set the PPPoA, put in your username/password, check the MTU etc (which will be the same settings as your old USB frog modem used).
    Then you can set your wireless network name/password/security. And then get the Mac to find the wireless signal.

3. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

The instructions say:
    'Open the web browser, enter the local port IP address of the ADSL Modem/Router, which default at http://10.0.0.2, and click 'Go' to get the login page.'
    But when I typ http://10.0.0.2 it just says that the conection was refused. I've tried this in Camino in OS X and Firefox and Internet Explorer in Windows
    The router doesn't seem to have a manufacturer or model number :confused: , I can't find anything about it, It didn't come with any drivers.

EDIT: OK, I just found out that my ethernet port on the PC was disabled, so I enabled it and tryed the whole 10.0.0.2 thing again on the PC and it seemed to work, so might the iMac's ethernet port just be disabled?

4. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

OK, the situation has changed slightly:
    The router is OK, it seems to be a Conexant AWgR/2. I turned the ethernet port on and when I typed 10.0.0.2 some settings screen came up. These are the settings the guy at tech help told me to put in, but I don't know where abouts in the settings I would find these settings:

PPPoA
    Encapsulation Code: VCMUX
    VCI Number: 38
    VPI Number: 0
    Modulation: Multi Mode
    DNS Settings: Primary xxx.xx.xxx.94
    Secondary xxx.xx.xxx.95

Anyone know where in the router's settings I could change these settings?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  6. JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

Thank you so much for your help Applespider, but I've got it all working now. Turned out I just needed to put my username and password into the router's settings. Yay! :D :) :D