Problems With New 23" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LeeTom, Oct 30, 2004.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Okay, so I just got my brand new 23" Cinema Display, plug it into my powerbook, and I already notice two problems:

1) Pressing the power button doesn't power up my Powerbook like my old 20" did. If I press it when it's on, it brings up the dialog box asking if I want to shut down, restart, etc... but it will not turn it on. I have to open the lid and press the power button, then close it again. This isn't normal, is it?

2) Windows burn into the screen after about a minute!! For instance, if you open Safari to Google (mostly white), then close the window after a minute or more, the image still exists there, faintly. I took a screenshot, and it doesn't show up, so this leads me to believe that it's being burned in! It lasted past a restart, but was fainter. I shut down for a couple minutes, and it was gone again. But now, in the time it took me to write this message, there's a "Post New Thread" window burned into my screen!

I should probably just take it to the Apple Store right now, but what a hassle. When I bought my 20", it didn't even work, and I had to get a replacement right away.

Lee Tom

2. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I had to return my 23". They seem to be having alot of problems with them. Watch out for pink hue if you get another one.

3. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I returned it to the Apple Store, and got a 20" Cinema Display and the difference instead.

It's working great....

I have one question though:
    On my old (clear plastic) 20", pressing the power button on the display would turn my Powerbook on. With the new display, it doesn't. Is that how it is now? It's too bad having to lift the lid everytime I want to turn it on.

Lee Tom

4. jburrw macrumors newbie

Yes, that's how it is now with the move from ADC to DVI.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the new ones cannot turn on the computer. which is a shame, really. Sleep/wake from sleep or display on/off is all they can do.

6. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Does anyone notice that the new 20" has a sort of grainy look to it? I'm not sure if it's because it's sharper than the old one or my new 6800 card or what.

7. justjess22 macrumors newbie

justjess22

When good pixels go bad

Speaking of the 23", I bought my 23" display 1 year ago this week. My husband and I have gotten so much enjoyment out of it, professionally and personally. THEN IT HAPPENED –

Just this week (on it's 1 year birthday) the monitor now has a BLUE LINE going vertically down the left quarter-panel of the screen. I can't believe it. I've heard of pixels going bad, but this is rediculous!!! I mean, a WHOLE VERTICAL LINE of pixels has decided to go bad, and turn BLUE!

And the best part? Apple informed me that it would cost $3,300 to fix it!! Heck, I could get a new 30" for that! ABSURD!!! I could live with several individual bad pixels, but a FREAKIN' LINE of bad pixels.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF SUCH AN ATROCITY of an EYESORE?

saddened and maddened,
    Jess

8. justjess22 macrumors newbie

justjess22

23" Power button issues

I have my 23" connected to the first generation G4, so I had to get an adapter for the display. The button on the display is supposed to turn on the computer, but mine does not. Could it be a result of it being connected to an old G4?

9. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I had this type of problem on my Thinkpad LCD a while ago. It seemed like an entire row of pixels went dead about a 1/4 down the screen. I was ready to return it (it was my work laptop, so I didn't have any personal attachment too it), but it seemed to have fixed itself. It has been working fine for the past year.

I don't think your pixels went bad, but the main controller for that line of pixels. I have no idea what I did, if I didn anything at all, to fix it.

Kimo

10. justjess22 macrumors newbie

justjess22

pixel line problem

How long did the line stay on your screen? The blue row of pixels has been on my monitor for about 5 days now. What do you mean by controller?
    I don't know what to do at this point.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I had a very similar thing happen with an LCD at work....I powered the computer and LCD off, disconnected the LCD...came back from lunch and re-connected and tried again...well, it has been fine ever since....so....have you tried complete cold shutdown? ....oh yeah!

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Try this

Try hooking up the monitor to another computer and then you'll see if it's the monitor or not.

If the monitor is okay, then try and see if you can borrow another video card from somebody and swap them out.

Good luck and keep us updated.