Problems with new (UK) debit card and iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Andy_UK, May 2, 2005.

1. Andy_UK macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    My UK debit card issued by Intelligent Finance (Halifax) used to be a Switch card and worked fine with iTunes.

Now I've been issued a new one by the same bank but it's a Visa Debit and starts 4462.

The problem is that iTunes will not recognise the new card as being a Visa card (or for that matter any other card) giving the error message:

"Your payment card you entered is not valid in the United Kingdom. Please provide a valid payment card for the United Kingdom."

Anyone else had any problems?

Unfortunately, the card works fine after being marched at gun point to the local DIY store to buy things for the house to be put up over the bank holiday.............
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  3. shortyman macrumors member

Mar 26, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    Hmmm, I have a Halifax Visa debit card that starts 4462 and that works fine in the iTMS. I would double check you are putting all of your information in correctly, and then give Halifax a ring about it.

4. Andy_UK thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for your replies. The first thing I did was contact both iTMS support and the bank and they didn't really have an answer for me (apart from the usual make sure you've keyed it in correctly etc), and each blaming the other.

I thought it may be because I changed my shipping address (not billing) to get Tiger the other week so I changed it back, in fact deleted the shipping address all together so I only have one address on the system (where the card is registered), but this hasn't worked either.

The fact that it's telling me that the card is not a valid UK Payment card, to me, points to something other than my details being incorrect.

It's not the end of the world, just not very convenient.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I too got a shiny new Visa debit card from the Bank of Scotland (aka Halifax) with a 4462 and I have mine working on iTunes - much to my relief after reading this.

I'm telling iTunes that it's a Switch card (their Visa symbol appears to be only for be credit cards), I'm putting in my card number, 3-digit number, start and end dates. But I'm not putting in the issue number; if you do that, it goes tits up. Not just Apple's - my old BoS Switch card was similar. It likes start and end dates or issue numbers but not both.