Problems with OpenGL and iBook G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by haiggy, Mar 20, 2004.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hi I have an iBook G4 and today I went to play Warcraft III and it says that it cannot initialize OpenGL. It worked perfectly this morning and the message tells me to make sure I have OpenGL and all my video drives installed. Do you know what I can do to fix this?
    Thanks. :confused:

Edit: I checked the ATI website and it gave me a link to Apple's page for a driver download but it redirects me to another page about Panther's new features and I can't find the driver on it. I think they changed the page now that Panther is out.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

OpenGL has been included in OS X since day one... and there have only been downloads to update it in 10.1 IIRC... apart from that its only updated in 10.x.x update packages. There is no way to simply reinstall just OpenGL on your system. The first thing i would try is a good 'ol repair permissions. Then move onto testing some other OpenGL games. If they work, maybe you should try reinstalling Warcraft III. If the other games dont work, or Warcraft III wont work after reinstalling, the only thing i can tell you would be to reinstall OS X.

3. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, do you know of any other games that use it or do all games use it? If not, do you have a free download that you can suggest would be a good game to try out? Thanks for the input. I realize the drastic measures are resinstalling the OS. lol Well I guesss I can back up on my iPod.

4. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

No go

Repairing Permissions didn't work. I guess I'll have to try that game testing. Would Demos Rising use OpenGL? Bugdom? OttoMattic? lol (Sorry but I love those games as I am only a youngin') :D

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Reinstall warcraft?

6. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I am doing that right now but I went to update ROC in Battle.net after the install and it totally screwed up giving me an error and when I go into Warcraft it gives me a black screen display version 1.00. Re-install OS? :confused:

7. thejazzman10 Guest

I had somewhat of the same problem in jag, it said something about the openGL library....couldn't play otto matic, but when i upgraded to 10.3 , all of the problems were gone

8. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Just as I think about if (of course just after fresh installing Panther) do you think it would have helped if I deleted the prefs?

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yes.