problems with osX to 8.5 downgrade B/W g3?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maha, Mar 17, 2005.

1. maha macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi all,
    I'm curious if there is a problem reformating and loading os 8.5 on a blue and white g3 that already has osX installed on it?

I have a piece of equipment that is only supported in 8.5.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you reformat with the 8.5 disks you should be fine.
  3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
  4. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2005
    sorry, I'm not too technical about os updating. I just want to make sure that the os or a firmware update (that would probably have needed installation prior to osX) wouldn't mess up going back to os 8.5? or if such a thing could even happen.

It's a drum scanner made by Screen who no longer supports software development for this model. I've been using a beige g3 which works fine, but file transfers are extremely slow as I think it's only a built in 10 base T network connection.

Unless anyone knows of a card for the beige g3? I posted that question a while ago and received no answer....

anyways thanks for the advice!

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
  6. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2005

I'm not 100% sure. When I first set up the system - about 1.5 years ago, I believe I tried 8.6 and if I remember right, the reason why 8.6 didn't work that great was a color sync problem?

Right now I have color sync 2.5.1 in os 8.5.

and I don't have a machine with 8.6 on it to see again what the difference was....
  7. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2005