Problems with Quicksilver G4 and Video Card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fuzzyuu, Feb 2, 2007.

1. fuzzyuu macrumors newbie

All right, here is my deal. I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 Quicksilver that has a GeForce 4 Ti (4600), and the fan died on the card. So I went out and purchased a replacement fan for the card. Now, when I boot up the computer it will get through the kernel boot process and to the blue screen, but my login will never show up. Next I tried zapping the PRAM, then reseting Open firmware, these didn't work. So, I re-installed OS X (erase and install) and got through the install and the same thing happened. So then I ran Apple's Hardware Test and it passed just fine. I tried booting it off another disk. I tried booting it with different (tested) ram, none of these worked. So then I tried the card in another computer, same thing, stuck at the blue screen. Try another video card, the computer works fine. I guess, what I really want to know, is the video card fried or does someone have some cool fix out there?

Let me know.

Thanks!

2. fuzzyuu thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW: Just ran TechTool Pro 4, passed just fine.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

I'd put good money on the card being fried.

How ling did it take you to notice the fan had died?
    If you HEARD it kick off and then shut down right away, then it might still be ok. But if it started acting flaky, THEN you noticed the fan had died ... you're probably out of luck.