problems with refurbished 20" imac c2d

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McGarvels, Nov 10, 2006.

1. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Hi All,

This is my first post so please be easy on me. I'm a new Mac owner (though I have been using them for years at work). I recently bought a refurbished 20" iMac C2D from the apple store after my best friend talked me into it (I was dead set on buying new from the apple store, but he insisted that he has never had trouble with his refurbished macs).

Anyways, to make a long story short, after I received my new iMac I noticed that there are bright areas on the corners of the LCD screens if watching a DVD through front row or any type of dark image. Is this a known issue? Additionally, everytime I put in a CD or DVD into the superdrive it makes this awful sound (not the normal sound it should make seeing as I compared it to the 20" iMac CD I have at work). It sounds like it is rubbing against something, it's hard to describe in words, but yeah.

My question is, do I just take this into my local genius bar and hopefully they will fix it? Or will they just fully replace it? I'm not sure because it's a refurbished machine. It's only been 2 days since I've received it. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well if you think its not running right, take it to a service center and have them look at it. Refurbished Macs have the same warranty as new ones, 1yr from the purchase date.

Refurbished products are a crap-shoot. Sometimes its considered refurbished just because the box was opened and then they couldn't sell it as a new computer anymore. Other times, it was a lemon and everything was replaced inside and out. But ALL refurbished Macs go through the same testing process as any new Mac does.

3. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Thanks a lot for the quick response. I will just take it in tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me what's going on. Should I put it back in it's original packaging or just take it in as is?

Thanks again for your help.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Probably just the computer. The more stuff you bring, the more they have to keep track of and the more you have to lug around. They have all of the cables required to make it work. You may have to leave it there depending on how busy it is and what they may or may not determine what the problem is.

5. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Took in the iMac today and the geniuses said that all is well with it, so I'm pretty happy. Also I found out that i have a 256mb video card that came with the refurbished iMac (it was like christmas when I found out, lol) Thanks again for your recommendation