Problems with safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madmax_2069, Mar 26, 2007.

1. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

hello all,

i have a little quirk with safari.

a little info. my system is fully updated 10.4.9 all up to date.

now the quirk. i have a Belkin wireless G+ router and when i try to access the web based setup (type 192.168.2.1 as the url, diffrent brands of routers differ on the IP address used) with safari it takes me to some sort of generic Apache internal site (which didn't happen in safari in 10.4.8).

i will copy and paste what it say's

-------------------------------------Start of copy and paste----------------------------------------------

If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.

Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

This page is here because the site administrator has changed the configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation, which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve configuration issues.

The Apache documentation has been included with this distribution.

You are free to use the image below on an Apache-powered web server. Thanks for using Apache!

(there is a Apache image here not shown cause i copied the text)

---------------------------------------end of copy and paste--------------------------------------------

now when i type 192.168.2.1 into firefox or any other web browser it goes to the internal web based setup of the router. now if i type 102.168.2.2 into firefox i get that apache site like i do with safari when i type in 192.168.2.1

now if i type 192.168.2.1/setup in safari it will go to the web based setup. is this some sort of redirect problem with safari or something. i would not know how to begin to submit this to apple useing the report a bug in safari.

since i dont have high speed yet the router is not connected in anyway to the net. but i can navigate around in the generic site showing FAQ's and other documentation and help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I had great difficulty following your post, but I don't think it matters. You cannot update your router's embedded web server. It is there to to allow you to easily administer the router. Just login to the administration web page and make your necessary modifications.

3. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

ok let me clarify so you can understand what i am trying to say.

all routers have a web based setup (which i know how to use) by typing in a set of ip numbers of your router into any web browser to go to its web based setup. since mine is a Belkin router i type in 192.168.2.1 to get to its web based setup (not so with safari). when i type in 192.168.2.1 in safari's URL bar i get a generic apache page (from the router) saying the above (where i copied and pasted in my OP). now if i type in 192.168.2.1/setup i can get to the web based setup (its not suppose to be that way).

now if i use any other web browser like firefox (sept for safari), when i type in 192.168.2.1 it goes to the web based setup of the router. when i type in 192.168.2.2 in firefox (or any other web browser besides safari) i get the same apache page (which is suppose to be the way it is) i get with safari when i type in 192.168.2.1.

there is a problem with safari in going to the web based setup for the router when typing in the IP the documentation say's to type in. any other browser works just fine sept for safari.

its a bug with safari that should not be there. how i know its a problem with safari is cause every other browser works just fine when you type in the IP address said in the documentation to get to the web based setup. its either a problem with safari or the OS cause it didnt start happening till i updated to 10.4.9. maybe safari is having a problem with the update.

i know all about the web based setup functions of a router and how to use them and how to set them up. it worked fine with safari in 10.4.8 when i typed in the ip address it went to the web based setup just fine (like firefox does now). but since i updated fully to 10.4.9 i have to input 192.168.2.1/setup in safari to get to it. it seems like safari is having problems with the OS X update (since safari hasn't seen a update in a long time) it could be having problems with the new build of the OS.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've never been able to use Safari to access the web setup front end for my router on any 10.4.x release. I've always just used Camino to make any changes I need.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hmm, that's strange. My router setup works just fine in Safari, OmniWeb, and Firefox, on all 10.4.x releases. Maybe it's just my router.

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

Could just be because my router is from some small time company I'd never really heard of anyway!! Only got it because I needed something qvery quickly and it was the only one the shop had.

Router itself works fine though and it's not often I need to change the set up, so I can live with it.

7. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

I also have a Belkin G router, and have no problem accessing the web based settings in 10.4.9 with safari.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have never had any trouble all using Safari to access the embedded webserver of any router I have owned, including my current Linksys, or either of my Xerox Phaser printers. Seeing as how Apache is part of MacOS X, it is inconceivable that Safari should have any difficulty accessing an embedded version of the venerable opensource webserver.

9. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

the weird thing is that safari in 10.4.8 went to the web based setup of the router just fine when i used 192.168.2.1. but now safari in 10.4.9 goes to that generic apache page instead and i have to type 192.168.2.1/setup to get to the web based setup of the router now. it makes no since cause when i use firefox and type in 192.168.2.1 it works like it suppose to.

something has to be wrong somewhere. i tend to lean toward something being wrong with safari when all other browsers work fine. i know there is allot wrong with safari that Apple hasn't fixed yet. that so called open sourced safari has been somewhat fixed in its nightly builds. but apple hasn't even tried to fix its version of safari yet. i dont know if they are going to give up on developing safari or what but they need to step it up in fixing the bug in safari.

10. madmax_2069 thread starter macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

sorry for the DBL post

just tried to do the normal things one would do with a screwy acting system like repair permissions, reset safari. and still the same thing happens, safari dont correctly work when trying to do the normal method in trying to get to the web based setup, and firefox and other browser's work fine.

maybe when Apple updates safari i hope it will make safari work like it should (like it did in 10.4.8) that in itself is a mystery why it worked fine in 10.4.8 and dont in 10.4.9 with the same version of safari.