Problems with Spotlight... any way to restart it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by john_satc, Oct 11, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2005
    B'ham Uk
    I keep having the same problem with spotlight.
    I will search for a document simply putting in the a word, such as 'papacy' (history work), knowing that there are at least half a dozen documents with 'papacy' within them. Yet, I get 'No results found'. Or I can type in exact names that I have saved documents as, and still get 'No results found'. And yet, I can go through finder and find the documents myself. This is really annoying as I am doing coursework and type in simple phrases like 'relations with papcy' which is a common theme in my documents, and yet get no results!

Is there any way I can force spotlight to restart itself, hoping this will fix the problem.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    Go into System Prefs -> Spotlight and click on the Privacy Tab.

When you mark a disk or folder as private and non-searchable, Spotlight actually DELETES its entire index for that location, so if it's misbehaving, drag the disk/folder into the Privacy list and then back out again. Spotlight will delete and then rebuild the index for that disk/folder.

Good eh? :)
  3. macrumors 65816

Dec 10, 2002
    That is a much simpler solution that what I was going to suggest. However, another more direct solution that I've used is MainMenu... lets you do many things. It can be found here.