Problems with StuffIt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richard4339, Nov 17, 2006.

1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I probably should have left it alone, but last week, I needed to extract a .sit file, which I was told the default version of the OS X Stuffit Expander could not open, so I installed the free version of Stuffit.

Since extracting that file, nothing will extract with StuffIt. Every archive I try tells me that it is an invalid archive, and to try again. I've attempted to uninstall Stuffit, but I don't know how to get the base OS X version back.

Anyone have any insight into this issue?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't think Macs ship with Stuffit Expander...

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess you have downloaded version 11 here?

Mac's don't come with Stuffit anymore.

4. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

richard4339

If I used the wrong terminology, forgive me. The C2D MBP running OS X 10.4.8 I purchased recently had a utility pre-installed that allowed you to unzip and untar files, and the menu option used the word "StuffIt." I assumed this was an even more basic version of StuffIt Expander 11.

Since this utility would not allow me to un-archive .sit files, I went to stuffit.com and downloaded Expander 11. It worked to un-archive that .sit file, and it never worked again after that. It started giving me an error telling me that the archive is not recognized (be it a zip, tar, etc). I attempted to uninstall Expander 11, but had nothing installed at that point; it overwrote the utility.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What utility was that!?!?

6. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

richard4339

My friend's MacBook has this utility installed, and it appears to be called BOMArchiveHelper.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

BOMArchiveHelper comes with OS X and has nothing to do with StuffIt. Installing StuffIt Expander shouldn't have affected BOMArchiveHelper at all. Have you tried repairing permissions?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Stuffit shouldn't overwrite that, it's built into the OS, you don't even have to install Stuffit (apart from move the application to the Applications folder) anymore, so I'm confused about how it's interfering.