Problems with TextEdit in 10.4.6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grandier, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Grandier macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #1
    Since I updated to 10.4.6 on my Quad G5 I've been experiencing problems with TextEdit. Every time I type a dash, slash, quote mark, or any character that is not a number or a letter, if it is preceded and followed by numbers or letters without spaces in between, it turns into a double character.

    For example: 16-feb-06 turns into 16--feb--06 as soon as I type the f and the 0. When I try to delete the error the program usually stops responding and I can't type anything else anymore! Check Spelling doesn't work either (in any of it's forms).

    I have restarted several times and it won't fix it. This only happens in TextEdit, other programs are fine. This is really annoying, as TE is the only dedicated text program I have. I'm having to use Supercollider as a text editor now. Please Help!
     
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #2
    Try moving/deleting/renaming the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TextEdit.plist (where ~/ is your home folder), and see if that helps.
     
  3. Grandier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #3
    Thanks for your reply. I tried, but it didn't help. :(
     
  4. Grandier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

    Mitthrawnuruodo

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Location:
    Bergen, Norway
    #5
    I'm afraid not... or, that is, not much...

    Have you checked to see if this also occurs when logged in as another user on your Mac (make an account if you have to)?

    And have you performed the usual mumbo jumbo™: Repairing permissions, ran periodicals, etc.?
     
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #6
    One suggestion: Completely deleting the application and reinstalling it from your Quad install disks using Pacifist?

    http://www.charlessoft.com/
     
  7. Grandier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #7
    Yes, I did try verifying the permissions.

    I opened another account and tried TextEdit from there, and the problem is not present in that account! What does that mean though?

    And I already tried deleting the application and copied it from another disk (where I installed it from the install dvd), but it didn't do it. Sorry, but what is pacifist?

    I apologize for my ignorance, and thank you both for your help!
     
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #8
    Maybe peruse through this support discussion over at Apple. It hasn't been solved as such, but it's got some interesting techniques. Cleaning out system cache seems to be a temporary fix. :)
     
  9. Grandier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #9
    Thanks mad jew, it helps to at least know that other people have been experiencing similar problems.
     
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #10
    Yeah, but it still sucks to have the problem. Did you try any of the techniques outlined in the thread? In particular, did you empty caches and remove third party spell checking apps (where applicable)?

    Also, I guess if it really gets to you, just transfer everything over to the new account that doesn't have the problem.

    Oh, and to answer your earlier question, Pacifist is an app that lets you reinstall specific apps from the OSX disks without having to completely reinstall everything. :)
     
  11. Grandier thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2005
    #11
    I ended up deleting the application, and before reinstallinng from the disk, I tried copying a really older version (1.0) from a backup I had from my old laptop. It seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. The funny thing is that I had tried that before already with another old (but not that old) version, and the problem was still there. :confused:

    Don't know if it's a good idea to have such an old version of the program, but at least for now it works. Thanks for your help! :)
     

Share This Page