Problems with time, Dashboard and 'Open with'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dnordstrom, Mar 12, 2007.

1. dnordstrom macrumors member

Mar 12, 2007

I love my MacBook (Intel Core Duo) but it's got three very disturbing problems that some of you might be able to solve.

Problem #1

Every time I log in, the time is set wrong. Once I "Open Date & Time", it updates automatically to the correct time zone.

Problem #2

Launching Dashboard is a very slow process that freezes the whole OS for about a minute. While Dashboard is loading all widgets and data, I can't use my computer. Once it's loaded, I can view it quickly though.

Problem #3

Right clicking works fast, but once the mouse pointer points at "Open with", the OS freezes for maybe 15 seconds. This mostly happens when I'm dealing with image files.

Also, when I use "Get info" to change which application to open the filetype with, the same thing happens. It freezes when I'm trying to view the drop down menu. And when I finally am able to use my computer, there is an error when I try to "Change all".

That's it.

I hope that I was detailed enough and that my English is readable. I'm european.

Hope someone can help me out, because this is really starting to get on my nerves.

Thank you, guys.
  2. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2006
    you're using bootcamp right?

i get that time error to whenever i go into os x after windows
  3. dnordstrom thread starter macrumors member

Mar 12, 2007
    Yes, I certainly am. That might very well be the solution to that particular problem.

Thank you! :)
  4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    Problem #3, and possibly part of #2:

You need to rebuild your LaunchServicesDatabase......

Either use Onxy, or open Terminal and enter the following command:

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
    -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

PS..... Dashboard is a VERY ram heavy app, so if you tend to run alot of apps at once and/or have less than 1GB, you may wanna get some more asap :)
  5. dnordstrom thread starter macrumors member

Mar 12, 2007
    Sorry, still takes forever to get the 'Open With' menu. Tried both in Onyx and Terminal.

The RAM might be the problem, but before I reinstalled OS X a few times, I could launch Dashboard in seconds every time. Installed a 512 MB with my 256 MB so I've got a total of 768 MB RAM.

Maybe the RAM is faulty? Should I try taking the 512 out?
    But then I'd be left with only 256 because the other 256 is in Sweden.

PS. What's with the "Super High Speed" internet connections you americans have?
    We can get 100 Mbit/s connections in the damn forests in Sweden. It's standard in the cities. Here in California they call 5 Mbit "super fast"?
    I don't understand how people can do serious work using these connections.