Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I was burning a DVD using the same method I've always used and I got these two errors about 15 minutes into burning:

First Error:
The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x03

Second Error:
The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = Illegal Request
Sense Code = 0x03, 0x05
Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

I am using new DVDs probably better quality than the old ones. They are TDK 16x DVD+R they are "print-on" DVDs. This is the very first one I have used.

I run on a PowerBook 1.67ghz 1 gig ram, 128 vid. I took a DVD that I want to lend a friend (Coach Carter) and ripped it using MacTheRipper, Encoded it with DVD Remaster Gold/Pro whatever, and then burned it using Toast 6 Titanium. This has worked countless times (I only bring back-up copies of DVDs to people's homes or on trips). I'm not sure why this failed, but it gave both a software and hardware failure. Any help is appreciated.

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
jessica. said:
I am using new DVDs probably better quality than the old ones. They are TDK 16x DVD+R they are "print-on" DVDs. This is the very first one I have used.

Both errors are probably related to the media. Even though you think they are better quality... something about them is not liked by your burner, which passes the error along to Toast.

You can try:
1) using a different piece
2) burning at a slower speed - force it to burn at 1x
3) save as a disc image first, then burn from disc image
4) use a different brand

See http://www.nomorecoasters.com for reputable brands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.