Problems with usb ports on imac G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by linda wilson, Apr 4, 2005.

1. linda wilson macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    my brand new iMac g5 osx.3 is driving me nad as both the printer and scanner don't work properly with it. i have a hp deskjet 940c and a canoscan n124ou both with updated drivers. The only way i can get them to work is if i unplug them from the usb port and plug them back in either into the machine or a powered usb hub. For the printer i then have to reselect it in the chooser. This is each time i restart the computer i've been in contact with apple support and went through a number of things ie: resetting PRAM and NVRAM this has not solved the problem in fact the scanner won't work at all now! Anyone got any ideas please before i get my sledgehammer out. The mac came with 256 ram i have bought a 1gig stick and put it in the spare slot was that ok to do it like that?

Many thanks
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Have you updated your OS to 10.3.8 and repaired permissions?
    What else did Apple Support ask you to go through?
  3. linda wilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    I haven't updated osx yet but all this hardware was working fine on my older mac with the same osx on it! Apple support got me to identify wether there was a compatibility issue i had to unplug everything and go through all the hardware that went into the hub, the printer at that time seemed ok the scanner did not work at all, he told me he could not help me and felt the problem was with cannon. I have since restarted the mac and the printer is just as it was needing to be unplugged and then replugged!
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    What OS are you using again? :confused:

Have you tried all these suggestions?

Do they show up on the listing of USB bus devices when you get system information?
  5. linda wilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    It's os x 10.3.7 they do show up on the listing
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It may be worth downloading 10.3.8 from here, installing it and then repairing permissions, if only to get that out of the way first...

A collegue of mine had funny probs with his G5 iMac, its fans & some USB probs. Installing the updater cleared them all up. I'm not saying it's definitely going to work, but it may be best to eliminate the possibility.
  7. linda wilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    Wow a 103mb download will take me a year on my 56k modem! I have just got a new adsl modem but am waiting for a new cable so i will have to wait to download it i think. I appreciate your quick response
  8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    It's only because it says on that page:
    - improved PostScript and USB printing
    - additional support for FireWire and USB devices

So it can't hurt.

In the meantime, repair permissions with Disk Utility. If you don't know what that is, do a search for 'repair permissions' on this forum and you'll find some info on how to do that... just best to get it out of the way first before moving onto other things.