Problems with VPC 5 and 6

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rampel, Apr 14, 2003.

1. rampel macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2003
    I am on a 9600 + a Sonnet G4 800 Mhz processor, OS 9.2.2, 1.5 Gig Ram, plenty of disk space.

When I try to launch VPC 5 or 6 my machine freezes, the only way out is a re-boot.

Any ideas / advice welcome

(P.S. I know that Officially connectix say their VPC 5/6 will run only on Native G3/4's. What I'm looking for a "workaround" to run those on my machine)

2. mdeschenes macrumors member

Jan 31, 2003
    I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I have a DP 1.25 with 1 Gig. Ram. I loaded VPC 6 DOS and added my own copy of Win 98. I allocated nearly 500 megs RAM and upped VRAM to 16 mb. I closely followed instructions for loading and optimizing. Unfortunately, it crashes.... a lot.

What WinSystem are you using? How much Ram are you allocating. I found than Win Me and XP were absolutely brutal to run. Exceptionally slow and they crashed a lot as well. I am beginning to think that VPC is not quite ready yet.

Presently, I cannot get my mac modem (internal) to work efficiently on VPC. It is exceptionally slow, despite being on a regular phone line. It is loading at rates on tenth the usual (when used with Mac only). I have tried resetting the commands and options both through Win 98 and VPC options. No better.

Moral of the story... use only if really required and with great patience. I plan to dump the whole thing and wait for a far more efficient and stable VPC to come out. If lucky, a smaller software package that can translate WordPerfect and other of my PC documents will come out before then.

Hope this helps.
  3. rampel thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2003
    VPC 5 & 6 problems

Thanks for your reply Mike.

I cannot answer your question which Windows I use because my VPC NEVER gets to the stage where it looks for a Drive Image!

It gets stuck (frozen) as soon as I click it. The mouse doesn't move, no keyboard commands accepted - nothing, Nada.

I have to reboot to get out of it

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Currently, the only workaround that I might be able to suggest is to upgrade to OSX.2 - for a start, you won't get the constant crashes that you get under OS9.2...

Good luck...
  5. rampel thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2003