Problems with VPC 5 and 6

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rampel, Apr 14, 2003.

1. rampel macrumors newbie

I am on a 9600 + a Sonnet G4 800 Mhz processor, OS 9.2.2, 1.5 Gig Ram, plenty of disk space.

When I try to launch VPC 5 or 6 my machine freezes, the only way out is a re-boot.

Any ideas / advice welcome

(P.S. I know that Officially connectix say their VPC 5/6 will run only on Native G3/4's. What I'm looking for a "workaround" to run those on my machine)

:confused:

2. mdeschenes macrumors member

I understand and sympathize with your frustration. I have a DP 1.25 with 1 Gig. Ram. I loaded VPC 6 DOS and added my own copy of Win 98. I allocated nearly 500 megs RAM and upped VRAM to 16 mb. I closely followed instructions for loading and optimizing. Unfortunately, it crashes.... a lot.

What WinSystem are you using? How much Ram are you allocating. I found than Win Me and XP were absolutely brutal to run. Exceptionally slow and they crashed a lot as well. I am beginning to think that VPC is not quite ready yet.

Presently, I cannot get my mac modem (internal) to work efficiently on VPC. It is exceptionally slow, despite being on a regular phone line. It is loading at rates on tenth the usual (when used with Mac only). I have tried resetting the commands and options both through Win 98 and VPC options. No better.

Moral of the story... use only if really required and with great patience. I plan to dump the whole thing and wait for a far more efficient and stable VPC to come out. If lucky, a smaller software package that can translate WordPerfect and other of my PC documents will come out before then.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

3. rampel thread starter macrumors newbie

VPC 5 & 6 problems

Thanks for your reply Mike.

I cannot answer your question which Windows I use because my VPC NEVER gets to the stage where it looks for a Drive Image!

It gets stuck (frozen) as soon as I click it. The mouse doesn't move, no keyboard commands accepted - nothing, Nada.

I have to reboot to get out of it

:eek:

4. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Currently, the only workaround that I might be able to suggest is to upgrade to OSX.2 - for a start, you won't get the constant crashes that you get under OS9.2...

Good luck...

5. rampel thread starter macrumors newbie