Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I've printed to windows shared printers before with my powerbook but I can't seem to print to this printer. I can see it and select it with no problem but the driver doesn't come up when it asks me what the printer model is. If I connect directly to it I have no problem printing. Anyone solve this problem? It's really frustrating. HP is no help whatsoever. Thanks.

Also, if I select any other model that may be close (including generic) when I try to print it spools like it should but the printer doesn't do anything.

dsatterfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Hi.

This may be a dumb question, is the printer shared and has the correct permissions?

If so I might also try re attaching to the printer using the Windows System IP instead of the Windows name. //00.00.00.00/printername

David

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Unfortunately not all printer drivers are totally CUPS friendly (CUPS is the Common Unix Printing System, and OS X uses it), so they are not designed to be network-able. I ran into this issue with a Canon printer; and have had other problems back when I was using Linux. The solution is generally to do a Google search on "cups laserjet 1500l driver" (or something like that) and find out what cups driver people have been using to get it to work.

This happens in Windows too. Printer manufacturers for some reason often don't want to work within the printing framework the OS provides - so they munge something together that works if the printer is connected directly to the computer, but doesn't work well otherwise. It sucks.

Lylac

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2004
Canada
Color Laserjet 1500L

The Laserjet 1500L is only network compatible with an optional jetdirect print server. You could use a non-jetdirect print server, however HP would never support it. The exact jetdirect is a 380x. It's an external print serner that connects to the printer with a USB cable. This is only if you're using a wireless network. If you use a wired network the jetdirect 175x or the 310x. If you want the web address where i found this information its:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=101&prodSeriesId=239135&prodTypeId=18972

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.