Problems With Wireless Computer to Computer Network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Earendil, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

First, a little background on the 2 systems involved.

-My Computer - FW800 15" G4 Powerbook, running Panther.2
    -Dad's Computer - Titanium 15" G4 Powerbook, running (I believe) Jaguar.6

Note* no base station is involved in this equation.

We have issues creating a connection between the new powerbooks that will enable us to share files, and talk over Rendezvous. On the other hand, we don't... Somtimes it works, and other times it doesn't, and we don't know why!
    Now, I'd like to consider myself a highly computer litteret person (being under the age of 20 and all ;) but I'm relativly new to OSX. So with that in mind, let me try and explain what is going on.

As far as I know (and the manual/help/single OSX book we have is slim on info) the way this is supposed to work is for one computer to "Create Network" with the airport control tab, and have a second airport enabled computer "Join" the created network.
    Now, we are always able to create, and we are always able to join(confirmed by the Network preference panel), but we aren't always able to use this "connection" that our computers tell us we have, to do anything. it says we are connected, but nothing shoes up in network drives, nor does anyone come "online" in Rendezvous(though Rendezvous senses the network and opens up)

Fire sharing is enabled on both computers.
    Fire walls are turned off on both computers.

What are we missing that causes this to sometimes works and other times not?

Thanks for any incite!
    Tyler
    Earendil

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'll withold any english literacy jokes :)

Dont you simply enable "Internet Sharing" as this is the old Software Base Station reborn?

If you are looking to transfer files, you may want to try a firewire network or crossover cable, It will be MUCH faster.

If you are looking to share an Internet connection a better way, get a wireless router.

3. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Dont you simply enable "Internet Sharing" as this is the old Software Base Station reborn?

Do I need to do this even if internet sharing isn't the point of the computer connection?

If you are looking to transfer files, you may want to try a firewire network or crossover cable, It will be MUCH faster.

Our house is wired with CAT5, but that's not the point, sometimes we are both on the couch, and want to transwer a text file, or a pictures, and when we have gotten the wireless network to work, it's awesome (not to mention highly "cool"). but it doesn't always work, and we don't know why. And we're talking about it not working 80% of the times that we've tried, not 5%.

I'd like to get this nailed down before I venture out into the world and come across the need for it, and not know how to use my simple and user friendly Apple computer ;)

If you are looking to share an Internet connection a better way, get a wireless router.

no need for a wireless router, we have a modem connection here at home, no CPU hog there... but while that would be a bonus, just a simple network would be a much bigger (and you'd think easier) deal.

any ideas?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

AFAIK, Apple buried the same functionality as they had previously offered with Software Base Station (OS9) into Internet Connection Sharing. Can anyone vouch for this?

Im pretty sure this should work.

See http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/11/panther_internet.html?page=last&x-showcontent=text and have a look at the Sharing over Airport section for help.

Granted you won't be able to surf (unless the laptop you setup the sharing on is dialed in) , you should be able to see each other and share files.

Good Luck

5. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Ok, well I will try turning internet sharing on and see if that enables us to access the other persons HD.

So, what is the point of connecting to another computers network, if you aren't able to use the internet, chat, or share files?

seems like "internet sharing" is a poor way to enable all these functionalities...

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Because most people buy an access point (Airport base),hub or a router to network computers. Peer to Peer networking isn't very common (although handy) given the cost of hubs,routers,etc...

7. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Except that I don't want a "network" persay, with more then two computers. I just want to wirelessly transfer files with ease.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Dude, two computers sharing files is a network, per se.

Did my suggestion work?

Really you should just spend the $50 and get a wireless router (cheaper than AP). Setup would be a bunch easier and when you finally get broadband you can share the connection easier too.