problems with wireless internet access in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by loztheguru, Nov 9, 2006.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

Im having trouble connecting to my wireless internet connection. I can connect to the wireless network in my house fine, but im being assigned an incorrect ip. My network status tells me this is a self assigned ip, however the settings are set to DHCP. Even if I click renew lease, it doesnt change. Im getting an IP beggining with 169, whereas all the other windows users in the house are getting ips of 192. Ive reached the end of my tether with this, ive no idea whats wrong. Its not hardware related, as I can connect fine in windows (which i am using now).

Anyone out there got any tips? Ive never had this sort of problem before in os x.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The "169" is just a default. Also used for computer to computer.

What kind of router? Is it possible that it has exceeded the number of IP's it can distribute? Depends on the range the DHCP server has been give. One cause for the could be leases not expiring, leaving old IP's in the list.

If you have access to the router, you should be able to look at the current DHCP server IP asssignment list.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That is a self-assigned IP address. The NIC assigns it when there's either no response from the DHCP server, or no timely response from the DHCP server. So, there's a couple of things to try.
    Is it your wifi in the house or does someone else manage it?
    Is it possibly filtering by MAC address? (MAC = Media Access Control)
    Are you using a firewall on the Mac that might be blocking the DHCP reply to port 68?

4. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

ive got access to the router, its a linksys if that makes any difference. Its not exceeding teh number of IP addresses, up to 50 can be assigned. The starting ip on the router is 192.168.1.100. mac address filtering is off. Ive fiddled around with the router and it doesnt seem to be a problem there, especially as I can connect in windows. As for firewall, ive not installed one, so unless osx comes with one as standard?

I used this laptop before to acces the internet on this router, so i really cant understand the problem. Im at my wits end!

BTW: is there a better section of the forum for this?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It does, but it's off by default.

What do the logs say about the issue? Use /Applications/Utilities/Console.app to look at them.

Are there any logs on the router (unlikely) that might lead to a resolution? Are you using WPA or WEP?

Meh, maybe http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Private Message a mod and ask them to move it if you want.

6. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

no wpa or wep, and i cant see anything on the logs. Ive even tried assigning 1 static ip to the router, and entering it manually and yet still no joy.

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

What version of OS X, and what kind of mac are you running? There have been wireless problems with 10.4.8 on intel macs. Can you see the router's SSID broadcasted in the menu bar?

8. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

its a core duo macbook running 10.4.8, and yep, the ssid is in the menu bar.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Litterally or nothing stands out?

As a longshot, give us the results of:

sudo ipfw list

Code:
    yellow% sudo ipfw list
    65535 allow ip from any to any

It will ask for your admin password (don't worry, nothing will show up when you type it), hit return and check the results.

If it looks the same as above, "65535 allow ip from any to any" then the built-in firewall (ipfw2) is not an issue at all.

10. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

yep, allow from any to any. my friend had a similar problem with windows and suggested clearing the winsock. what do people reckon? is it even mac applicable?

11. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

Am i at a dead end here? is a format the only option left, as my mac is basically uselss if i can only get online via windows!

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Have you tried deleting the WEP/WPA key/password from your keychain and re-entering it very carefully? I had a router one time that, if you typed the WEP key wrong, it'd let you connect, just wouldn't give you an IP. That was very confusing to me too—I assumed if you got the key wrong, it'd just kick you off. I actually had to call tech support, embarrassingly enough. :p

13. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

alas never used a wep or wpa key, its a relatively new setup. What i dont understand is why I can connetc in xp but not osx. Surely this points to the problem lying with osx and not my router?

14. cahillj macrumors newbie

15. lazydog macrumors 6502a

I've had this happen to me. It took me about 2 hours to find my mistake!
    Although the Airport icon in the menu bar says you're connected, the Mac can't connect to the DHCP and so assigns itself a default 169.… address.

I also have a related problem. At home I can connect without problem to the wireless network on my POwerbook, but when my girlfriend uses her Windows laptop then every so often, perhaps once an hour, my Mac will loose it's connection and revert to a self assigned IP address, ie 169.etc. Again, strangely, the Airport icon in the menu bar shows the Mac is connected. Most times I can fix this by turning the Airport off and on then hitting renew lease etc, but sometimes it can take a lot off attempts. I think these problems started since a neighbour's LiveBox network has appeared. It's only visible on the Windows laptop though, my Mac doesn't see it for some reason.

Anyway I've solved the problem for now by putting her laptop on an ethernet connection to the router ... ha!

b e n

16. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

No security on the router, ive connected to other wireless networks and also to this one before. Ive not tried with an ehternet cable on this particular network yet.

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't think a reinstall is necessary as a step just yet.

You never answered this question:

What is in the logs? There has to be some indication of it attempting to connect to the wireless connection. Have you tried creating a new location document?

18. cahillj macrumors newbie

You say you have in the past connected to another network using wireless on the Mac, can you re-try on that other network. If successful that would indicate the problem is not on the Mac side.
    Try changing to a different channel on the router then rebooting with no other PC connected.
    Try to get close to the router for maximum signal strength.
    On the Mac try disabling Bluetooth and rebooting.
    Are there any other wireless networks in the vicinity?
    As 1. it *may* cause interference 2. if it's open you could try a test connection.

Apple has info here on Airport troubleshooting http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106879
    And here is a good procedure for connecting to a Linksys router http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/initial_linksys_setup.html