Problems with wireless router and Powerbook G4 w/ AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Jul 4, 2004.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ok, my dad has a powermac G4 1ghz, newer model. He got it with airport extreme so he could connect wirelessly. the problem is, every time he wants to connect when he comes home, he has to reset the router or the mac wont connect. It gets a signal and everything, but i cant connect or ping anything.

The latest issue of "MacAddict" reported a fix for something simliar to this, which disabling IPv6 in the airport settings would work, but it doesnt :(

Im on a PC right now connected wirelessly and im basically having no problems right now, its only on the Mac.

my dad is getting pretty pissed that he spent $1700+ on a machine that doesnt work properly with wireless. I've searched the internet for a fix, but only found people with the same problem, no fix.

I hope someone here can help me :)

(PS, its a linksys wireless router)

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Check and make sure

Try changing the channel that the Linksys router is on. Is default is 6, and with another base station on the same channel, it can cause a problem. See if you upgrade the firmware using the PC if that helps. Find the router on Linksys website and download and follow the instructions for flashing the routers firmware.

Does the laptop work with other wireless networks. If so, then have your father to call up Linksys and complain, because if its 802.11, why the hell isn't a random piece of equipment not working when it too is the same 802.11.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Sounds like someone turned the DHCP server on the LinkSys off, so the Mac can't grab an IP.

This is 100% the fault of the router, not the Mac. So try emailing LinkSys or browsing their support forums for an answer.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Or, when your dad comes home and turns on his mac and doesn't get a signal, he should try going up to the Apple, Locations, and then choose the locations that is currently selected (even if it's just Automatic). This makes the mac look again, and has worked for me.

If that doesn't work, try turning off the airport on the powerbook, and turning it back on.

Let me know if one of these works!
    Lee Tom

5. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I can go into any apple store and connect to their airport network easily, no problems there.

LeeTom, the thing is, it gets a signal, and usually he's right next to the router, so its usually a full signal.

Turning off the airport card and turning it back on doesnt help (tried many times)

DHCP on the router is on and working fine.

(BTW, I have no security or WEP setting enabled, completely open)

im gonna try changing the channel and see if that helps. i'm also gonna see if I add the MAC Address of the mac computer to the router, maybe that will help.

thanks for your help, more suggestions are welcome/needed :)